Rifle Conversion Kits

Matt Bower

Inactive
I haven't posted on this forum before, although I used to frequent a number of different boards like GunTalk/ShootersTalk over at Shooters.com. Hope this is the appropriate place for this question.

I remember clearly that some years back there was a company running an ad in the Shotgun News for a sort of conversion kit that allowed one to fire .22 LR through their AR-15, without making any permanent mods to the rifle. I'm wondering if such kits are still available and, if so, whether anyone has any feedback on how reliable, accurate, etc., they are. Names and/or contact info for manufacturers would also be appreciated. Anybody got any intel?

A company called Ciener(sp?) makes one which according to "Gun Tests" works well. It consists of a replacement bolt and magazine and takes just a few seconds to change. If memory serves I think I paid $139 from Dillon for mine. Haven't tried it out yet.

I saw a Ciener .22 AR conversion fire out of battery twice in 5 minutes, with one of the malfs causing a case rupture. Flying chunk-o-brass took a pretty fair chunk out of a bystander's arm. This may have been a one time bad deal, but it convinced me to not get the kit for my own AR.

Thanks for the info. I have managed to dig up info on a Bushmaster kit, too, and JeffOTMG says he knows of another fellow who makes a kit, too. So I'm three ahead of where I started this morning!

It does. Thanks. I'd searched for it several times in the past, but hadn't managed to dig it up. (Didn't know Ceiner does rifles, too--was familiar with his handgun kits.)

Bushmaster as well as Dillon both sell the Ceiner conversion. These are based on the Atchison design. I own three of the conversions and use them is my ar-15's as well as the full auto versions in my m-16's. If you buy a new kit you will usually need to polish the parts as they are a little rough from the factory. Also get some extra firing pins. They will break if you dry fire the gun. Also watch for lead build-up in the chamber and gas tube when firing .22 long rifle. It is usually recommended that you fire a few .223 rounds through your gun after about 50 rounds of .22 long rifle. I use a seperate upper for my conversion. Accuracy is acceptable but the bore diameter is not correct in the ar 15 m16 for the .22 long rifle. They are a lot of fun and are worth getting. You just have to tinker with them a little and they will run fine. Just be very careful that you clean the chamber of your gun after using the conversion. Lead buildup in the chamber can be a very dangerous.

[This message has been edited by M16 (edited May 08, 2000).]

Back