Rifle cleaning what do I need?

oregongunner

Inactive
Hello, I need recommendations on the proper cleaning supplies for my 10/22 and browning A-bolt. I read about people damaging the crown with the rods. How do I prevent that from happening? And Is there a good set out there or should I peace it together? Thank you all.

Get yourself a muzzle guard(crown protector) for the 10-22 or use a pull through.
Pull the bolt out of the Browning and clean from the breech end.

I would use a guide in place of the bolt and always clean the A-Bolt from the breech end. The 10/22 won't really need a barrel cleaning very often; when it does use a rod with a muzzle guide (brass or plastic cone) to protect the crown. Buy a good steel one-piece cleaning rod, should be able to use it for both rifles (with caliber-specific jags on the end).

For the 10-22 I use a bore snake from the breech end.
Its the only gun where I use a bore snake.
For anything else I field strip & use a one piece good quality rod with a guide.

Let me pass along one tip that I discovered. I was having a hard time keeping all my brushes and jags straight. You'd be surprised how much a 6mm brush looks like a 6.5mm brush, etc. When I went to the pharmacy to refill a prescription, I had an epiphany. Many pharmacies now are using a one-size-fits-all prescription bottle - and it's big. I'm talking about maybe 3" tall and almost 2" thick. That bottle will hold several jags and brushes. So, I now have unique marked bottles each holding the jags and brushes for each caliber I shoot.

Another idea that I use is a Plano fishing lure box that has 6 slots. Each section will easily hold a few brushes, jag, etc. A Magic Marker was used to label which is which.

No saying that they all do but a lot brushes have the caliber stamped on them.

Don't want to sound like an idiot but what is a jag?

the tip of the rod with a slot cut for the patch to go through or the rod tip with a round section & a "spike" to stab the patch & keep it on while stuffing into the bore.

Back