Rifle Choices

Mastrogiacomo

Well, to celebrate my promotion this fall, I was going to get a Tikka T3 Laminated Stainless rifle that's, unfortunately, no longer available. I'm now looking at getting the CZ 527 FS and/or the Howa Varmint/stainless, heavy barrel - both .223 calibers. The Howa would be a 24" and the CZ a 20." Can anyone comment about the advantages/disadvantages of the guns? Thank you.

Laura

They are both going to be great rifles. I don't own a CZ but I've heard nothing but good about them. I do own a Howa and I really like it, especially for the price. Howa's trigger is one of the best there is in a factory rifle these days IMO.

Handle both rifles and pick the one that fits you best. Also find out what twist rate each rifle comes in and make sure it will work with the bullet weights you want to shoot. I'm not sure about the CZ but I believe the Howa is 1:12" which means it won't stabilize most bullets over about 60 grains

Buy the Tikka T3 SS and drop it in a Boyd's laminate stock for an extra $100.

Good idea. Then you would have pretty much exactly what you wanted to start with. The fit on the Boyd's might not be quite as good as the Tikka factory stock, but a little bedding would fix that.

Back