Rifle cal. 222

Nickster

Can anyone out there give me some info, on the 222cal. I bought a savage 222 cal. Bought some ammo,9.50 a box of 20. A lot of store`s did not have any. Is this going to be a on going problem. Is this a accurate cartrige. Give me your help please! Nickster.

The first gun that I reloaded for was a 222 that I bought off a freind. It is until this day that I have not found any gun that I could shoot as good as with that duece. They are not as popular as some guns so go to the gun store to buy your rounds if you don't reload. It is not that large of a gun so if you shoot deer size game with it,place your shots carefully.

By yourself a Lee loader and as many cases as you can find and load 20.5 grains of 4198 and a 50 or 52 gr bullet and you will have a nice varmint rifle you will learn to love. I shot three in competition for 30 years an will say that it is my favorite caliber. It holds the world record for smallest 5 shot 100 yd. group ever fired in competition. .009 set 25 years ago.

I've heard the .222 rem called a reloader's dream because the low powder capacity saves money, and the long case neck makes for easy bullet seating. But I don't yet reload personally, so just .02. It's also very accurate compared to other small-caliber rounds, as mentioned, but still behind 6mm PPC and .22 PPC in intrinsic accuracy, according to what I've read.

The 222 was superseded by the 6ppc so that the shooter could shoot the same gun in both sporter and light varmint class and since he was shooting two guns in that caliber he may as well chamber his heavy br rifle for the same cartridge. The 6PPC is shot by everyone for that reason so the statistics show it as the only winner at the matches. The only difference in the accuracy of the PPC and the 222 is a ppc will shoot when out of tune and for a 222 to beat one it must be tuned perfectly. After having built rifles in both caliber's that have set 35 world records and national champions over a period of 40 years I would say that if I had to build a rifle that my life depended on it being a winner It would be a 222.

Hey Nickster!I have owned a rifle chambered for .222 for many years,and it is one of my favorites. The cartridge is low recoil and very accurate.As for the availability of the ammunition, I have never had any problem in my area.Have been able to obtain it with no problem at all.If it is scarce in your area, there are many mail order dealers who stock it.Enjoy!

Back