Rifle butt on top of shoulder???

Prof Young

So in one of the Jason Bourne movies an embassy guard comes running up the stairs with his M16 butt resting on top of his shoulder instead of in front of it. Is this just Hollywood being stupid or is that a real technique?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Sounds like Hollywood ignorance to me.

I've seen some advocate the butt on the center of the chest for indoor work, but never on top of the shoulder.

You would be surprised how long that stock gets when you are wearing stuff with reinforced straps and heavy clothes. Could be a quick solution, I guess. I have used my shorti to hunt with the stock all the way collapsed to make up the difference.

I believe it is a 'style' that was popularized by broadcast news video of US soldiers in Iraq wearing bulky body armor that necessitated a higher hold in the shoulder than usual.

TCB

The rifle is rested on top of the shoulder to shorten it up for indoors CQB since the longer A2 stock combined with body armor makes for an awkard length of pull when using a squared up stance.

More movie/hollywood shooting tips.
ITS A MOVIE.
The dont always reside 100% in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwt said:
If it's on the screen it probably is far from being accurate when it comes to guns.

You really should try a High Power competition. You'll see people using iron sights with this "far from accurate" technique shoot better groups than you can with a scope!

It's a pretty common technique among Highpower competitors. Not enough recoil from a .223 to worry about and it keeps your head vertical and allows a more consistent sight picture.

p794405696-4.jpg

S3.jpg

There's an article that kind of covers it at the link below from the US Army Marksmanship Unit, I personally don't consider them "Hollywood Heros". Seems to be a LOT of ignorance on here about shooting techniques for a so-called "shooting" forum!

http://www.odcmp.org/1007/default.asp?page=USAMU_STANDING

Next I position my head on the stock of the rifle by using a technique we call dragging skin. I start by placing my chin on the top of the stock and dragging it down until my eye is behind the rear sight. Using this technique allows you to pull up all of the excess skin from under your cheek and helps you get the head pressure you need to acquire and keep good sight alignment. Without good head pressure, the rifle will move under your head during recoil. When the rifle does this, you will loose the sight alignment you worked so hard to achieve and it will be very difficult to call your shots. It is very important to check your head position and sight alignment every single shot! You want to be consistent with your head position and the pressure you put on the stock of the rifle. The best way to work on getting a good head position is by doing lots of standing dry fire practice, either at the range or at home. Find a position that allows you to look directly through the center of your rear sight without having to stretch your neck too much.

Last edited:
Appleseed also teaches to place the toe of the butt stock very high on the shoulder. They teach to keep your head up and bring the rifle up to the cheek.

I've seen it done in .22 RF standing competition.

As for the movies, anything goes & guns never recoil or run out of bullets!

45_Auto...wow. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for posting the pictures. I guess the 'smallbore' shooters were effectively doing something similar in the day with the adjustable butt hooks but it didn't look so....goofy.

Most of the Marines clearing the embassy in the first Bourne movie were real Marines. I could tell the moment I saw the movie since actors almost never wear their cammie covers correctly. And since then I've read that I was right: They brought in some Marines stationed nearby instead of using all actors.

Putting the fixed stock of an M16 over your shoulder is a technique called "short-stocking". M16s are pretty long for CQB work, so we were taught to do that with the stock to shorten the overall length in certain room-clearing situations.

The marksmanship technique in 45_auto's post is not short-stocking, it's completely different.

Here's an excerpt from an article in the Marine Corps Times:

"Rounding corners and getting on target in small rooms [with an M16] was difficult, leading to use of a tactic called 'short-stocking,' when a Marine places his rifle stock over his shoulder – instead of securely against the chest and cants his weapon 45-degrees so he can still use his optics. It helps in maneuvering, but compromises recoil management and follow-up shots."

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/st...ndorse-infantry-plan--ditch-m16--m4/30145257/

Last edited:
Funny how things change.
When I was in the military for CQB in Nam we were taught to flip the butt stock of the M16 under our arm pit locking the stock between our arm and the side of our chest, seemed to work pretty darn well for point shooting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

The Army uses short stocking as well.

As an 18 year old PFC who felt like he had the last M-16A2 in the Army I slogged through all the worst parts of southwest Baghdad doing that in the old Interceptor armor.

Back