Rifle bolt cleaning

yeah I have been wondering how to get mine apart too. Thanks 101combatvet for the link. I think before I try and follow the instructions on it I'd need to see a utube video. I'm just not that sure of myself.

"These are restricted parts, as are all other parts closely associated with the trigger assembly. For that reason, I’d advise you not to disassemble it further. There’s no real need to do so anyway. If it’s dirty, soak it in kerosene or mineral spirits for a day or so, flush it out, and dry it with compressed air."

101combatvet said:
"These are restricted parts, as are all other parts closely associated with the trigger assembly. For that reason, I’d advise you not to disassemble it further. There’s no real need to do so anyway. If it’s dirty, soak it in kerosene or mineral spirits for a day or so, flush it out, and dry it with compressed air."

From the article, that is referring to specific small parts in the trigger. Here is the quote in context:

Now for the adjustable trigger assembly. It’s held to the receiver by a housing screw (#54), housing-screw washer (#55), and housing set pin (#56). The latter is a roll pin. Remove it first in either direction, followed by parts #54 and #55. By the way—and this is important—the bolt-handle lock (#6) hooks onto the safety (#57). When you remove the trigger assembly, don’t lose either part #6 or #57. These are restricted parts, as are all other parts closely associated with the trigger assembly. For that reason, I’d advise you not to disassemble it further. There’s no real need to do so anyway. If it’s dirty, soak it in kerosene or mineral spirits for a day or so, flush it out, and dry it with compressed air.

This really has nothing to do with stripping and cleaning/lubricating the bolt.

Minds not giving me any problems. I just wanted to be able to take it apart. I've had my model 70's bolt apart before, but the A bolt seems a lot more tricky.

Brake Cleaner

I was thinking carb cleaner.
It's entirely one's call but I stay away from Carb-Cleaner and instead use brake-cleaner. Carb cleaner loves to eat some plastic resins and finishes. :(

Be Safe !!!

Carb cleaner is also a lot more nasty for you to breathe
Brake cleaner works well for many applications, Ed's Red for others.

Dump in an small ultrasonic cleaner filled with Mpro7 for 5 minutes.
Remove, wipe down, light lube, done.

And its even nontoxic :)

Back