Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger?

taylorce1

So those of you who use them are they worth the money? I've always replaced my Savage non Accutriggers with the Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger and have loved that trigger. However, SSS has discontinued the trigger because they don't work with the new bottom bolt release Savage rifles. I'm asking as I have an old Stevens 200 that's about to get a new barrel and I want to upgrade the trigger at the same time.

So those of you who use them are they worth the money? I've always replaced my Savage non Accutriggers with the Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger and have loved that trigger. However, SSS has discontinued the trigger because they don't work with the new bottom bolt release Savage rifles. I'm asking as I have an old Stevens 200 that's about to get a new barrel and I want to upgrade the trigger at the same time.
I have one of them and I despise it. IMO, its a piece of junk.
Its definitely not a benchrest trigger. IMO its not a safe hunting trigger. It takes a tremendous amount of adjustment and screwing with to even get it half decent.

I have several of them installed and love em, LOL--as well as one of the old SSS which though it's a nice trigger was a royal PITA to install. Only took me a few minutes (well, OK, 10 to 15) to get the rifle basix installed and tuned pretty light--I think mine breaks at right around a lb. I have no idea why anyone would be in the woods hunting with a trigger that light though. Biggest hassle for me in installing any savage trigger is getting the safety screw just right so the safety works properly.

It's funny I just got involved in a discussion where everyone was having a lovefest with LaRue's MBT 2 stage trigger--I have two of them installed and they just aren't my cup of tea. No accounting for taste.;)

Last edited:
I have several of them installed and love em, LOL--as well as one of the old SSS which though it's a nice trigger was a royal PITA to install. Only took me a few minutes (well, OK, 10 to 15) to get the rifle basix installed and tuned pretty light--I think mine breaks at right around a lb. I have no idea why anyone would be in the woods hunting with a trigger that light though. Biggest hassle for me in installing any savage trigger is getting the safety screw just right so the safety works properly.

It's funny I just got involved in a discussion where everyone was having a lovefest with LaRue's MBT 2 stage trigger--I have two of them installed and they just aren't my cup of tea. No accounting for taste.;)
My biggest problem is I cant get zero creep and maintain any degree of safety. I guess my way of seeing it is that if you cant safely hunt with it, its a benchrest rifle. If its a bench rest rifle, may as well have a Jewel in it.

My biggest problem is I cant get zero creep and maintain any degree of safety. I guess my way of seeing it is that if you cant safely hunt with it, its a benchrest rifle. If its a bench rest rifle, may as well have a Jewel in it.
I'm guessing what you're saying is you can't can't put it at it's very lightest 14 ounce setting, with no take up, and not have the trigger break even with the safety on? That does happen on occasion when I try to get it to the lightest setting on my installs as well, but it seems endemic to me with the way the savage triggers on my axis/110/111 models are because they have a certain amount of "rockering" play in them. I really can't tell the difference between the lightest setting and say a lb or so--but that might make a difference to a bench shooter. A serious bench trigger it's not, but hey it's pretty inexpensive and in my installs it's as light a pull as I feel comfortable with. None of my installs have noticeable take-up to me. I think it's a bit of a stretch to call em garbage, but maybe they are in your gun(s)--I recently bought an expensive 22wmr 1911 that doesn't work properly at all and that I think IS garbage, but other people that have them and they work for them love their's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, I still might try one. There aren't many options for the Savage to choose from. I'm not looking for a bench trigger, something in the 24-32 oz range.p

Call the guy RB up--he'll answer the phone or call you back and will answer any questions you might have, probably preset the trigger for you if you ask.

Thanks for the info guys, I still might try one. There aren't many options for the Savage to choose from. I'm not looking for a bench trigger, something in the 24-32 oz range.p
You might like it. Mine is at 16 oz and still has to have much more creep tan I like.

I just installed one on my 6mmBR Norma and i have it set a bit "enthusiastically" to break around 8 ounces--in other words if I slam the bolt home with safety off there's a certain percentage chance that bullet's on its way without me pulling the trigger. I have no discernible take-up. I'm wondering Taylor if you ever stoned/filed your sear edge--I could see that slipping off at the wrong angle (my RB triggers also have a sear adjustment screw).Another nice thing about ordering direct from RB--when I called my order in I received an e-mail it had shipped priority about 45 minutes after I hung up.:eek::D MDT's another one that gets my orders out the door and on it's way within a day of my placing it. I like the businesses that pay attention to the small details like that (especially when many of the others are endlessly delayed or lost in the Sargasso Sea).

Last edited:
No, I've never stoned the sear edge. I've done some stoning of the contact surfaces of the factory trigger. I might do that as well on the factory Stevens 200 trigger see if I can make it more acceptable to me.

I also have the option of pulling an SSS trigger from one of my varmint rifles and trying the Jard 7-12 oz or 13-18 oz trigger in that rifle. The Jard trigger also replaces the sear. I've used a couple of set triggers in rifles that once set were 6-8 oz, crazy light pulls. I don't know how I'd feel about that in a non set trigger system.

have lots of Jards on my AR's--both fixed pull and adjustable (the fixed ones you can change by swapping out the trigger springs) and overall I like em though I don't think I have any on my bolt guns. Look forward to your review of them, they are reasonably affordable.

I also have the option of pulling an SSS trigger from one of my varmint rifles and trying the Jard 7-12 oz or 13-18 oz trigger in that rifle. The Jard trigger also replaces the sear. I've used a couple of set triggers in rifles that once set were 6-8 oz, crazy light pulls. I don't know how I'd feel about that in a non set trigger system.

I’m really surprised you don’t like the SSS trigger better....may I ask what you don’t like about it?

I have the Jard and bought both springs. It is light, but has a fair amount of pull. Basically the geometry is a bit off for my tastes. At a safe engagement, the trigger can be an ok 12oz. I can live with that.

I wonder how the 1.5-2.0 lb Jard is? It should have a more crisp, but heavier pull. Might be just right.

I love the SSS trigger but it isn't an option anymore. I put out feelers looming for someone who wanted to part with one and crickets. If you look at the RB SAV1 and Timney for the money I might as well try cleaning up the factory trigger first. The most similar to the SSS trigger are the RB SAV2 and Jard.

I don't want the Jard because I'm not looking for a trigger that light in my 6mm Creedmoor build. However pulling the SSS from my 6mm-222 RM and going with a Jard is an option I'm considering. I can then install the SSS in my Creedmoor. If I don't swap triggers around that leaves the SAV2 trigger as pretty much my only option that'll keep me around 1.5-2 lbs trigger pull.

Ihave three of them and think they are great. Two are set at 1 1/2# and the other, on a coyote gun is set at 2#. NO problems with any of them.

After looking at several photos of the f10 p model .223 I have, I noticed I had the sear pin installed backwards. On the cd install video, it actually shows to install the pin through from left to right but, it should be installed from right side so the head of the pin, should be on the right side of the receiver after installed. I got great performance and adjustments after reversing the pin. :)

Back