Rifle ammunition

Deer hunter88

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Winchester power point ammunition? I’ll be buying a .270 soon and I’m thinking about buying a box of the power points since their reasonably priced.

That ammo should work just fine. Back before I loaded my own, I preferred Remington CoreLocts, but that was a preference with no hard data to base it on.

Power Points

The "Power Point" line in Winchesters ammo line-up is well established and has a good reputation. I have one rifle in .308 that shot the .30/ 150 gr offering very well.

I've been a 270 Winchester guy for a long time. I mostly shoot reloads, but, yes, of course I have shot Winchester Power-Points. For budget-priced ammo, they are some of the best. Save your empty cases to reload.

I've been slaying deer for many decades shooting Power Point ammo in my 30-30 carbine. Accuracy is quite good. Performance on deer sized game is outstanding - ghastly damage to the chest organs every time.

Jack

Do this: Buy two boxes or so of 130 and 150 grain Power-Points and shoot several 5 shot groups at 300 yards from as stable a position as you can provide on paper targets and buy more of the winning formula.

P.S. COSteve is partly correct in that 130 grain bullets usually shoot flatter out to perhaps 300-plus yards. At much longer ranges, 150 grain spitzer bullets retain their velocity better and will have a flatter trajectory over the long-haul, but that's likely to be further than most hunters should attempt any shots on game. The most important difference between bullet weights is to select the one that shoots best in your rifle. My rifle likes 150 grain bullets; your rifle may, or may not.

Last edited:
I have four rifles chambered to the .270 Win. Winchester Power Point 150 gr. ammo has beed sub-MOA in three of the rifle and exactly one inch on average in one, a Ruger #1A.

Probably the 130 gr. loads are more popular but in my opinion, depending on the bullet make destroy too much eating meat so I go with the 150 gr. load.

I usually use only my own handloads for hunting and use the 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings on deer sized game but for elk and the like I use the 150 gr. Partition. My handloads are set up so I can shoot either bullet without having to resight the rifle and the Winchester Power Points are usually close enough that I don't need to adjust for them.

I second the comment to save your brass because if you don't reload your ammo now, odds are you will later on.

Paul B.

My advise is to try at least 4 different flavors of ammo and see what your gun likes. For example, I once picked up a cheap Win '70 in .270. I tried 3 each of 130 gr (Win, Fed blue box, and Remington) and one box of 150 Win. It grouped the three 130gr brands to about the same size, but to different points of impact. The 150gr bullets grouped about like a load of buckshot. That barrel seemed to not like heavier bullets at all. Bottom line is that the only way you'll know what your gun likes is to put in some range time and experiment.

Wasn't the original designed twist rate for the .270 was based on using the 130 grain projectiles?
I believe the original bullet weight was 130 grains, while the standard twist rate has always been 1 turn in ten inches. But that twist-rate is faster than necessary and will easily stabilize 150 grain spitzers. Maybe they always figured that they would soon come out with heavier bullets.

I highly recommend you buy a box of 5 different commercial loads to try in your new rifle. All the charts, graphs, and third party experiences in the world won't guarantee it shoots worth a darn out of your rifle.

If you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it makes no difference.
Jack O'Connor killed every game beast in North America, big bears included, with H4831 and a 130 grain bullet.
Winchester Power Points and Remington Core-Lokts are pretty much the standard by which all other commercial ammo is compared.

I shoot Power Points out of 30-30 and 30-06 and have been very happy with them. Here's just a random picture from the internet but I shot a buck last year and the recovered bullet looks a lot like this one except the copper jacket was a lot more like flailing razorblades.

6c28ea65733174846865fc2c33bc9dfa--bullet-art-federal.jpg

Back