Rifle accessories query

MarkGlazer

Guys, as you know the purchase of a any weapon is just the beginning of the adventure. With it comes the accessories necessary to "care for and feed" the beast. In my case I am formulating a budget for two rifles, which will be my first as I only own handguns at this time. I am also a hand loader so I already have a decent sized bench in which to work.

I am looking for direction on two principal pieces of hardware; stand/rest in which to service the weapon and the cleaning mechanisms.

Do I require a bench rest/rifle stand/etc. in order to maintain the weapon? If so, suggestions? I am only planning on using a rest for the purpose of maintaining the weapon, won't be doing any bench rest shooting.

What type of cleaning devices do you find the most efficient? A standard ram-rod cleaning kit or a soft "bore snake?" Or both? Or something else?

If it matters, I am constructing a budget for a Hi Point 9mm carbine and a .357 lever rifle - not sure which brand yet - research is still under way. The carbine will be my first purchase with the lever some time down the road.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you.

I am NOT a fan of bore snakes. Unless you keep them clean, you're just pulling dirt through the bore. Get or make up a good cleaning kit. A cleaning vise is really handy but not required. I made my own out of some wood scraps and a set of 8" woodworker's parallel clamps.

An appropriate case is, in my opinion, absolutely essential. Some people like hard cases, others like soft. Soft works for range and field use and is cheaper but doesn't work if you want to fly with it.

Start saving up all your T-shirts that get too old to wear. They make great cleaning cloths and patches (one of the items to put in your cleaning kit is a pair of scissors to cut up said cloth).

Those Tipton rifle vises are pretty good, but they do use up space.

I use a dedicated cleaning rod for each range of calibers, stored in a fishing rod holder mounted to a wall cabinet at the end of the bench. Bore snakes are for occasional field use, in my opinion.

Some kind of clamping rest is a huge advantage. I like the Tipton simply because its very versatile with different configurations of rifles.

Bore snakes are "kewl" but all they really are is a modernized pull through. They do not in my experience clean as well as a good set of rods & tips. They are handy if you're doing something like a multi-day camp out with shooting simply because they are so portable, but you will find that if you use rods & jags you'll pull more crud out after the bore snake has been used.

Pull through's used improperly have damaged many guns beyond repair, just Google "Cord worn gun muzzle" to see examples.:eek:

Cleaning can be very simple, a set of rods, the supplied slotted jag, a lot of patches & solvent is all you need. A mop & oil to finish up is a good "extra"., but not essential as you can oil the bore for storage with a couple of drops of oil on a patch. Military cleaning was done this way for decades quite successfully.

Back