Revolvers: Cheated out of better bullets?

VictorLouis

Pistol bullets are confined to smaller HP cavities due to the rounded ogives needed for proper feeding. That's not an issue with revolvers(though it may be for lever carbines). So, why are we not blessed with .357" diameter bullets with, say, a .340-.350" cavity? It would seem to allow for much better chance of expansion. Winchester SilverTip in .357 is the closest to this concept that I've seen.

The Lyman #358395 148 gr hollow base wadcutter loaded with the hollow goin out first worked right well. Put gas check behind em and push them to a little over 1300fps from a snubbie, great penetration AND expansion. Would maby want to back em down to around 1100fps for PC purposes.

That round did not lend itself to rapid reloading due to lack of rounded nose.

Sam...I know a shortcut, but better bring your GPS.

I have not seen one of those bullets. Do any commercial casters supply them? What you describe sounds good, but I would like enough taper to facilitate use with speedloaders.

They exist. They're called the Federal Nyclad line of handgun cartridges.

CR SAM...

1300 FPS out of a SNUBNOSED revolver?

What the hell are you shooting?

Mike....WAS is the operative word.

.357mag, 3 5/8 bbl, 148gr Speer hollow base backwards with hollow frontwards and gas check. Goodly load of AL-5. Stout but no signs of dangerous pressure. Shot from bbls of known (slugged) diameter. 1970 to 1972.

Same time frame. .38spec, Lyman 358395, 148gr hollow base backwards and gas check, slightly less AL-5, 1200fps from 3" bbl.

The Speer was easier to gas check due to flat nose and ring for seating gas check. The Lyman cast were much cheaper but had to glue the custom gas checks on.

Sam

CR,

AH! A slightly less-than-4" barrel is NOT a snubbie.

Warping the definition to meet your particular need...

You a Democrat or something boy? :D

Mike: I have experience with the Nyclad in the 127gr(?) and the 158+Ps which I have been carrying. I would class the lighter one as more of a truncated cone, and the heavy one is a SWC in profile. Is there another weight option that I am unfamiliar with?

Mia Culpa Mike.......(not the demo bit tho)....I consider 3" or less a snubbie. Was recallin that .357 test as bein a 3"er till went into my notes and found that it was over 3". :)

Sam...have excuse, me older than .357mag.

Back