Revolver vs Semi-auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

I am tired of the 9mm vs .40 debate. Shot placement+training will settle that. Here is a new thread. Although I am a fan of the semi-auto, I use the revolver for self-defense at home. This is based on many conventional wisdoms: less jam probability, no magazine spring tension, oil leaked into the magazine, overall, isn't the revolver more reliable and less likely to malfunction? Forget tap-rack-bang. Just pull the trigger for the next cylinder.

------------------
If you want peace, prepare for war.

I use a semi-auto for home defence because Ruger doesn't make a Mini-14 revolver. ;) :) :D

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

thequickad-
I agree with you vehemently. I love my Glock 19 and SIG 220, both of which are pretty simple to operate and have been utterly reliable. But when it comes to home defense, I go with a revolver everytime. I'll probably be drummed out of here for admitting it, but the gun I feel most comfortable with for home defense is my 30 year-old S&W model 10 with hum-drum 158 gr +P's. And for carry, a smith 642 loaded with the same pills. There, I said it. I don't feel undergunned in the least, and I don't think I'm lulling myself into a false sense of safety either. I think my choices are right for me, based on what I know about myself in crisis situations.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

I carried a Chiefs Special .38 for years and never felt unarmed even though my home gun is a .45 Colt GI M1911A1. I have talked to people on the net and in person who have dozens of guns, including for one guy a M1919A4, ready to go in case of a home invasion by a gang of dozens of terrorists. A little paranoia is reasonable, but...! I think if that sort of thing happened in my area, I would move. Cheaper than buying all those guns.

Jim

agree with VanFunk and TheQuickAd. For home defense, a revolver can sit there for years and be ready to use when necessary. For carry the semi-auto has the advantage as you might walk into a situation where the extra rounds can make the difference.

------------------

Vanfunk, no one here is gonna jump down your throat for using a .38. Or using a revolver instead of a semi. Or anything, as long as it goes bang when you need it to.

TFLers are, by and large, a reasonable bunch of gungeeks. Read the other wheelies vs sliders threads, the caliber vs placement threads, the 1911 vs Glock threads, and you'll see the same refrain over and over:

USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

As a dedicated sixgun (fivegun, whatever) fan, I have to say that I also own, use, rely on some of my autos, most notably the Glock 27.

Note that I said, "some of my autos" (assuming we're speaking only of defense--my handguns fulfill a variety of roles). There are some that I wouldn't trust at all in that role, but I think I can safely say that I don't own a revolver that I wouldn't press into the role of defense, though I would consider some of the calibers less than ideal.

I was always a believer in "5 shots for sure" until "IT" happened to me.

My carry gun was a S&W 442. One day at the local range it seized up on me while firing my carry load -- Winchester 158 grain +P. I was stunned that this revolver malfunctioned on me.

I traded it quickly and for concealed carry went to a Sig P225, then a Colt CCO. Never had a malfunction with either.

I want to return to a new S&W 442 though, for the inherent simplicity of a revolver and the long double action pull of the trigger.

For me, for most CCW scenarios, when the S*** hits the fan I think the revolver will do best as my heart thumps at 1000 bpm. It is also a revolver small enough to carry anywhere, any weather. OK, maybe not at the beach.

Blades67 response works for me...b/c Ruger doesn't make a Mini14 revolver.

Both have advantages and disadvantages and like Coinneach says, "Use what works for you."

Revolvers can malfunction and does everyone know what do to when you can't pop the cylinder open to reload? How about the cylinder refusing to rotate? What of a mushy trigger followed by the hammer dropping without the round discharging? Sticky trigger return, preventing a follow up shot?

I'm not knocking revolvers and I can shoot better with a wheelgun than with any semi. If you do regular maintenance on your gun (keep it clean), have it inspected annually by a gunsmith (interior cleaning), periodically check to ensure that external screws are tight, you won't have a lot of the problems I mentioned above... But if you do, post it in the Smithy Forum and George, myself, Jim Keenan or another member will try to help out.

By the way, for home defense, I keep a Ruger P85 on hand and it's backed by heavier stuff.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I got a good laugh out of 4V50 Gary's reference to getting the revolver inspected by a gunsmith yearly. I'd bet a whole lot of money less than 10 percent of us do that and wouldn't be surprised if the percentage were zero, especially if we discounted revolvers being gunsmithed for other reasons.

Yes, revolvers do malfunction. I have had several malfunctions with revolvers and when a revolver locks up you are just plain screwed...

To continue this thread with a slightly different twist, for those of you that keep AUTOs for home defense, do you download the mag by 1 to reduce the spring tension?

I use a Chief Special and keep it in the nightstand. I also take it on the late night run for cigarettes at the local stop and rob.
You must keep the firearm in good working order. My spring went and I got five soft hits on the range one day. Pretty embarassing if someone breaks into your house. Had to get it fixed and it now works like a charm. In ref to mags-yes...I always go one short in the mag.

AC,

I'm glad you got a good laugh and I have to join you in laughing at myself. Actually the recommendation is from manufacturers for police service weapons. Admittingly, civilian guns don't see as much holster wear, abuse, and neglect like a police firearm. Why? Because civilians aren't given guns by the government and so when they buy them, they take care of them. Cops are more indifferent towards firearms and to many, it's only a tool.

One of the function of the yearly inspection is to ensure not only that the interior is cleaned and the function of all parts are normal, but also to ensure that the officer didn't make any unauthorized modifications.

Yes, civilian guns can go a lot longer and how often they see a 'smith should depend on how hard the owner treats the gun (frequency of trips to the range, amount of rounds fired, type of cleaning after range use), climatic conditions, etc.

Naturally, it's the owner's call but if you're going to count on it to save your life, you owe it to yourself to have it thoroughly cleaned and inspected. Like I said, the frequency depends on the use.

Happy shooting to all.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Coinneach,

I resemble that remark! (gungeek) :) :) :)

No, I don't keep my mags downloaded by one to reduce spring tension, although I do unload one periodically, to let it "rest."

And who could simply leave one of their beloved guns "just sitting there for years?" I have to handle mine everyday! ;)

I have to fondle mine everyday myself!!! Who can possibly live without touching their gun? Why would anyone want to live without touching their gun every day?

Face it guys, revolvers are prettier! And they don't throw brass all over the place making it impossible to save every single one for reloading. Loosing brass is criminal as far as I'm concerned!

With the exception of worn out Army 1911s, I have never had an auto malfunction that was not caused by faulty ammo or a bad magazine. I have never had a revolver malfunction that was not caused by either a complete lack of cleaning and lubrication (not mine guns, perish the thought) or too much lubrication (sand sticking to frame). Take care of them, fondle them regurally, check and maintain your magazines, sop up all excess oil with toilet paper and you should have no problems.

Above all, fondle them. This will cause you to know them and understand them, eliminating most malfunctions.

The revolver vs. semi-auto debate continues!!

As long as both function properly it is only a matter of personal preference. I prefer the 1911 over a revolver because the likely problems are usually easier to remedy when you are in a rush.Obviously something can go wrong with any gun that cannot be easly remedied.
I have had bad ammo, failures to feed and elect with 1911's but the remedy is almost instant. Many problems with revolvers are cured by just pulling the trigger again. I have had primers rupture in a revolver which locked the cylinder and required a lot of time to correct.
Bottom line is make a reasoned decision and find one that fits.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

I rely on revolvers for all my self-defense handguns. The primary reason for this decision is that I shoot considerably better with a revolver than a semi-auto--faster and more accurately. Which is the whole point, right? I also enjoy shooting revolvers more than pistols.

As to reliability, I have been shooting revolvers since I was about 8 and in that 20 years of shooting, have never had a revolver fail to fire when I pulled the trigger. Conversely, practically every semi-auto I have ever fired has jammed at some point. As far as being able to clear an auto-pistol jam quickly, have any of you ever had a double feed? I would not want to deal with that kind of a jam under fire. Ever had parts in an auto pistol break, causing it to lock up? I have. Maybe I have just had bad luck with semi-autos, but I feel better with a revolver.

I keep a S&W Model 10 in my home office as one of my primary defensive weapons. My father bought it the same year I was born. It was the first gun I ever fired and the only gun I had for a number of years. I have many thousands of rounds through it--wadcutters all the way to police-only +P+ stuff. It was my carry gun during a time when I carried practically every time I went outside. That is a gun that inspires confidence, even if it is only a .38 Special.

My current carry gun is a S&W Model 38 Airweight Bodyguard and my bedside gun is a S&W Model 66 with the rare 3" barrel (that one is a real honey).

If it takes you more than 5 or 6 shots to deal with the problem, you are doing something wrong.

Alfadog,

I'm glad to see someone who prefers revolvers like myself. I've only been shooting handguns since the end of August, and have shot 2 revolvers and 3 semiautos. I feel much more comfortable shooting revolvers. I also think that they're more fun to shoot.

Christopher Nemeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back