Revolver sights

Chestnut Forge

I'm looking for an adjustable front sight for on a Walker. It shoots way high just like all of them do and I want to be able to zero it at different ranges. Any ideas?

Forge....

I don't know how handy you are, but you might try dovetailing a sight and then just drift it left or right to zero it in.

It won't look quite right, but it might accomplish your goal.

I will be watching this tread with interest! I am also ready to R&R my Dragoon's front sight.

If it helps, I just dovetailed a front sight onto an 1851 Colt barrel. I still need to trim the edges flush to the barrel. Took it to the range this past weekend and it shot point of aim between 7 & 15 yards. Very Pleased!

I got the sight at Track of the Wolf FS-PA-38-B Rounded Blade Front Sight, .075" thick blade, 1/16" thick base, wax cast brass . . . $8.99

Track of the Wolf also has dovetail base plates with interchangeable blades. As a matter of fact, they have hundreds of different front & rear sights.

Brass+Front+Sight.jpg

I knew this would be the place to ask. Tembo, I like that. I have been thinking about using a dovetail blank and a 1/8 inch set screw for the post. File the sides flat and I can just run it in or out for elevation. I have access to a milling machine and lathe so there are alot of options.

Anybody have pictures of their Walker/Dragoon or round barrel pistol front sight replacements?

Like the OP, it would be good to see what other people have done about improving their point of impact in relation to their POA.

I want to add some height to my dragoons' front sight as well but don't want to dovetail my barrels. I'm thinking of silver soldering maybe. Still looking into it.

For now, I just aim low...

I tried the "aim low" thing, but I'm 18 inches high at 35 and 14 high at 100 yards. I really want to hunt with this Walker. Right now I have the sight built up with epoxy putty and filed/sanded to shape. The filing job way a hurry up job and off a bit. I'm shooting 4 inches right at 35 now and 2 inches low.

I've thought about using some JB weld to build mine up to see how high it had to go. I'd like to know how yours works out.

I raised a BP revolver front sight, just by using one with a longer thread and a suitable washer.
The original broke clean off, so I drilled and tapped the hole very slightly larger and used a fat headed screw, shaped like the original post style sight.
Very simple and it mostly looks like it belongs there.
Just a thought.

One thing I have done for situations where one wants a bead vs. a blade is to go to your local RC hobby shop .
There you will find different sized ball links . Some have a octagon base with a threaded shaft. Not only do they come in different sizes but also different heights . Others have a ball with a hole through it . A small crew fits through the hole so you can adjust the height above the base
Now myself I did a brass blade on my 1851 just like Tembo did . However I made it vs. buying it .
While it does ride rather high its no where near as high as what Tembo's is . I like it much better then the post .

When it comes to round barrels , there are many different types of front blades that solder onto the barrel . Get a tall one so you can file it down to zero .

The new sight is on. It is really tall for now, I'm sure I will be doing some adjusting to it. I think this one is temporary though. I have been looking at some of the sights on TOW and I think I'm going to cut a dovetail. This one will let me zero and know how tall of one I need to get.

Attachments

• 000_0469.jpg
    000_0469.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 000_0468.jpg
    000_0468.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 46
Yesterday I took the Walker out. With the new sight it was 8 inches low. Today I shave the sight down and headed to the range. I'm happy with the results. 1st shot was clean/cold bore shot. This revolver always throws the first one.

Attachments

• 25ft-1.jpg
    25ft-1.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 44
Back