revolver shooters in USPSA

mnhntr

Anyone shooting a revolver? What are you shooting and what loads? I plan to shoot in a match in a few weeks and am shooting my 4in 686. I am loading some 38+p for minor and 357 mags for major.

Don't you have to use a minimum .40 caliber for major? I just dabble in Revo. I don't want to have to get completely kitted for competition, with a dozen or more clips on my belt, so I shoot my IDPA gear in USPSA classifier matches, as there's never a requirement for reloading more than once per string.

The .40 minimum for major does not apply to revolvers in USPSA.

I shot some with .357 Magnum brass, 158 grain roundnose, and enough Blue Dot to make Major. I later went to Vihtavuori N105.

maybe not optimum

I have a pair of 4" GP100s; they wear Pachmayr Decelerator stocks and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades (mostly), and get fed with HKS speedloaders carried in Safariland 333 holders.
The guns get drawn from an Ernie Hill speed holster.
Loads vary from Minor to Major "PF" using 110g/125g/158g/180g JHP to 125g/144g/148g/152g/158g lead bullets to 124g/151g plated bullets intended for the 9mm.
I also use (mostly) a 7.5" Redhawk, but that gun mostly gets a 158g Rainier Major PF load, again fed with HKS, but from the Safariland metal spring-clip holders.

I also use a 5.5" 44 Redhawk, using HKS loaders and 240g LSWC/7.3g Universal (for a 207 PF).
I've also used my (now-gone) 5.5" 41 and 45 Colt Redhawks, fed from HKS loaders. I never competed with my 5.5" 357.

All Redhawks are drawn from my custom-made Milt Sparks HSR. All wear (wore) Pachmayr Decelerator stocks and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades.
(Yes, I tried other stuff, too.)

As soon as I'm fully healed I expect to return to competing with them more often.

E-mail direct for 38/357 load discussion: WESHOOT2@aol.com

Back