Revolver Recommendation

Sulaco

I started off shooting wheelguns back in the day but like a lot of people migrated to semi-auto's and now find myself without a good revolver.

Recently I've had a couple of run-ins with some dogs and started reading up on ways to protect one's self from such things.

I figure a good revolver (doesn't jam up if I'm muzzle close) is probably my best bet.

I'd like something very light (recoil is not an issue for me) with enough barrel length to do 357 Magnum (because why not?) justice.

Is such a gun made? Perhaps one of the new polymer/alloy wonders?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Unfortunately, Ruger does not yet make the LCRx 3" in .357, only .38.

The lightest Magnum I know of is the S&W M60, available with 3" barrel. They made some 5" J Magnums but they did not last long.

Next lightest would be a Ruger Sp 101, available with 3" and 4" barrel.

There are going to be lots of options in 38 special and a few in .357. The one gun Jim Watson didn't mention from American manufacturers is the S&W 360PD. It's half the weight of the model 60 but cost a couple hundred more, is harder to find and only has a 1.875" barrel.

The Ruger LCRx in .357 would be a great option if/when Ruger decides to make it.

Have you considered the Taurus 905. 9mm moon clipped Revolver. Better performance than .38spl, actually pretty close to .357 Mag. Since you probably have 9mm already, keeps you from having to get another caliber.

Thanks folks. That Ruger LCRx 3" sure would be ideal. Too bad they aren't making it.

Mark that Taurus is intriguing, but I have to admit, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Taurus due to some timing issues on previous revolvers. Plus I just really want a 357 I think. Nice looking gun though.

If I wore pants with a belt all the time a steel gun wouldn't be an issue. But I am apt to be out in the yard a good bit with just elastic waist shorts and a t-shirt, and it's hard to carry a heavy gun that way. I could shove a lightweight in a pocket no problem.

If I can't find what I'm after I may consider the snubby LCRx in 357, or maybe even drop back to a 38, but I don't really want to. I've seen what 357 can do and am a big fan of the caliber.

Some of the Premium Overload .38 ammo from Buffalo Bore and Underwood is pretty hot. I think I'd rather have a 3" .38 with .38-44 HV than a 2" Magnum.

Thanks folks. That Ruger LCRx 3" sure would be ideal. Too bad they aren't making it.

Mark that Taurus is intriguing, but I have to admit, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Taurus due to some timing issues on previous revolvers. Plus I just really want a 357 I think. Nice looking gun though.

If I wore pants with a belt all the time a steel gun wouldn't be an issue. But I am apt to be out in the yard a good bit with just elastic waist shorts and a t-shirt, and it's hard to carry a heavy gun that way. I could shove a lightweight in a pocket no problem.

If I can't find what I'm after I may consider the snubby LCRx in 357, or maybe even drop back to a 38, but I don't really want to. I've seen what 357 can do and am a big fan of the caliber.

I'd try Out the 357 Magnum Ruger first if I were you. The lighter frame makes shooting 357 Magnums, unpleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For pocket carry with basically running shorts, I think you're best bet will be the S&W 340 PD or 360 PD. You won't get the full advantage of .357 except a lot of noise and a large flash, but it'll still be better than a .38 special. But I'm not aware of anything else light enough for elastic waisted shorts. The LCR may be close, I think it weighs around 17oz and is about 5-6 oz heavier than the S&W PD j-frames.

Pick something you don't mind having confiscated when you shoot someone's dog. There are non-lethal ways to do this.

Not in your basic pair of basketball shorts it won't. LCP works best for those types of shorts where the "belt" is a drawstring. With the nylon belt types, you can go a LITTLE heavier, but not too much, unless you wear a quickdraw fanny-pack style while working around the yard - then the weight is on your waist and not your pants

Why not use bear spray??

If it works on a bear, it should be more than enough for a pooch.

Also, you don't need to worry about killing something else down range.

A Ruger LCR in 38 sp+p should be more than adequate for your needs.

357's in 15 ounce or less platforms aren't just snappy their down right torturous. 38+p gives you great stopping power and much more control in a micro weight revolver.

I remember hearing about the United States Post Office having a dog spray for the house to house postal persons to use. Might be something to check on.

My friend's LCR in 357 magnum doesn't bother me to shoot. They have a steel "frame" instead of aluminum like the 38's. The few extra ounces makes a big difference.

I agree with several other posts that the use of a firearm to fend off someone's dog is asking for legal, and monetary trouble of a great degree. Pepper spray, mace, dog whistles. Will keep you safe from a dog, and keep you off of the 6:00 PM news, and animal rights groups trying to ruin you monetarily and sed you to jail.
Now, for a self defense revolver in light weight, easy to carry, and clambering adequate for SD, you can't go wrong with an LCR. Even in 38 Spcl. With modern ammo like Speer God Dot Short Barrel I don't think.any attacking target is going to be glad it's only a 38.
Remember Rick Perry, and the coyote he killed with a 380.

Back