Revolver recomendations? .357

marca

I've rented a few S&W .357 revolvers at the local gun ranges over the past few weeks and enjoy shooting them. The guns that I own and shoot are all semi-auto but I find the revolver fun to shoot. So far I've only shot .38 specials through them. I fear I may be close to wanting to make a purchase. I'm interested in something to shoot on the range but small enough for carry. Suggestions? I believe the models I've shot are S&W model 60, in various lengths. I don't really care if I get a .357 or .38 since I'm not likely to make much use of .357s.

Thanks

You can't go wrong with a model 60. I love mine and even my wife who is a bit gun shy doesn't mind shooting it. I've also owned a couple of Colts, a Detective Special and an Cobra and loved each. One extra round, slightly larger size but very comfortable to shoot. Hope this helps...

I've got a Model 60 with a 2" barrel. Great all around gun and not bad with .38. I wouldn't want to shoot .357 out of it. I like the 3" too but if you are going to carry it some, you'd better get the 2"

Welcome Marca. I would like to suggest that you try as many different models as you can get your hands on.

Then would further suggest that if you are going to purchase a S&W, look at the older used ones.

And for further information...this link.
http://www.scopeny.org/sw.html

Welcome to the wonderfull world of wheelguns.

Sam

Model 66 or 686 in 4" barrel. Very accurate out to 25 yards, shoot any load up to full magnum. Smooth trigger.

I recommend the Colt Detective Special for CCW and range use and the Colt Cobra if you must have less weight for CCW.

Colt Official Police revolver (.38) is a great service revolver. It might be too big for summertime CCW, but will carry well in a shoulder holster when wearing a jacket.

If you are going with a S&W, try their Model 10 revolver. It is also called their "Military & Police" model. This is THE CLASSIC .38 Special service revolver and you would do well to have one.

How big are your hands? If your hands are medium-sized, then I'd go with a medium frame gun. Either Ruger GP-100 or S&W Model 19 or 66 (19 is blued, 66 is stainless) with a 4" barrel.

If your hands are small, then I'd consider a small framed gun. Either Ruger SP-101 or S&W Model 60 with a 3" barrel.

A 2" barrel is rather short for target shooting. The S&W 686 is a fine gun, but the main reason for the 686 is that 66 is a bit weak if you're going to be shooting a lot of full house magnum loads. But you say that you're going to be mostly shooting .38s, so you don't need that extra strength. And I find the 66 balances better in my hand.

Happy shopping.

M1911

I recently acquired an SP101 with 3" tube and am very happy with it! Shoots nice, not too bad IWB, and solid.

You did say you would be shooting .38 loads, thus I recommend a .38 Special.

The magnum frame is just extra weight and bulk if you are only shooting .38 Special loads, and it would not really be a magnum revolver without the .357 Mag loads anyway.

Besides, You can get a really good S&W Model 10 revolver for under $200 on the used gun market.

Last edited:
My main carry gun is a S&W 337 AirLite Ti .38 spl.

11.0 unloaded...13.5 oz. loaded with 110 gr. Hydra Shok JHP's.

Hogue Batam grip; Hedley pocket holster.

Hell of a conceal gun...kicks like an extremly large mule...but MAN, it is light, and you can hide it anywhere.

My .357 magnum is a Taurus model 605--rubber grip, shiney stainless finish...a great gun with a GREAT double action trigger pull. Paid around $250 + tax. Defense load--Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. JHP's.

I have 3 Glocks, 3 Kel-Tecs, and a Steyr S9...but I STILL believe the best carry gun is a .38 snubbie...just pick your color.;)

Greeting's Marca,

First of all, how about a big welcome from the TFL family? I"m
very confident that you will enjoy your stay here, with some of
the most knowledgeable person's ever to use a firearm; for any
reason. With that said, the correct answer is that there are many
choice's out there that meet your criteria. Here are a few of my
suggestions:

1. Slightly used, LNIB Smith & Wesson model 19 with either the
2-1/2" or 4" barrel. Obviously, the 6" barrel has been eliminated,
cuz it can't easily be concealed.:(

2. LNIB or new pre-sellout Smith & Wesson model 686, with the
same choice's in barrel length. This weapon is heavier
than the model 19, and comes with a full underlugged barrel.

3. LNIB or new Ruger Security-Six. A very nice weapon for the
money, and forerunner to the GP-100 series Ruger's. Usually
can be found at a very attractive price.:)

4. Ruger GP-100, SP-101, KGP-141 All are fantastic revolver's,
and come in a variety of barrel length's. All are workhorse type
revolver's, capeable of handling the heaviest of load's.

5. WE SHOOT 2's favorite, A Ruger Redhawk in .357 magnum,
but, the barrel length will be a problem with it's 5.5" length.
One helle'va good gun, built like a Sherman tank and able
to withstand the stiffest of load's.

6. Now, if money is no object then an older, pre 70's moldel
Colt Python might be is order. Hand crafted and very COSTLY,
these will not hold up well under the stress of stiff load's.
Easily jumps time, that will cost you a trip to a good gunsmith.
The 2-1/2" barrel version is becoming extinct.

Now, there's a real good selection of quality revolver's, in the
versatile .357 magnum caliber. There are other's out there,
but this is my "short list". Have fun, stay safe, and make a
smart decision.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I would agree with Ala Dan on the Rugers, This are guns that I own and shoot.

Ruger Security-Six

Ruger GP-100, SP-101

Ruger Redhawk in .357 magnum

Some of the numbers, you see are model numbers, I will post Rugers web site address below just click on Rugers.

Rugers

Wecome and injoy TFL,

Tony

Last edited:
Taurus makes .357's too

Just to be different, check out a Taurus model 605. It is built on the exact platform as their very successful model 85 .38 spcls, which means it is very compact and just drops in the pocket. It weighs about 22 oz empty and holds 5 rounds. You can get it in in stainless steel with a variety of grips.

You might want to add Smith Model 13s to #1 in my friend Ala Dan's excellent, comprehensive listing.

How 'bout Dan Wesson?

Personally, after shooting several S&W 357's (686, 27) and shooting the Ruger GP-100 (which I didn't like at all, nor did my girlfriend), I settled on a third option: the new and improved Dan Wesson revolvers.

These revolvers are VERY well made, have interchangeable barrels (to suit every taste and every shooting need, from IDPA to silhouette) and are getting very good reviews in the gun press.

Check 'em out. Because the gips don't have to fit around a frame (like they do for S&W), they can be as compact or as large as you want them. My girlfriend loves her 6" Dan Wesson .357 with the Hogue rubber fingergroove grip.

My 2 cents' worth.

www.danwessonfirearms.com if you want to take a look.

Pvanosta, what do you mean by this statement?

"Because the gips don't have to fit around a frame (like they do for S&W)......... "

S&W grips range from two tiny slabs of wood to wraparounds that cover the backstrap and frontstrap. Are you under the impression that all S&W grips are wraparounds?

Pvanosta, what do you mean by this statement?

"Because the gips don't have to fit around a frame (like they do for S&W)......... "
I think I can answer this one: instead of having an "open" grip frame like the S&W, the Dan Wesson has more of a "stud" protruding from the frame. The grip need simply slide over the stud to cover it. Therefore, it can be shaped smaller to fit smaller hands.

I may be all wet on this - I am recalling memory here. If I have this wrong, someone correct me please (like I have to ask :rolleyes: )

I am with everyone who recommend the ruger sp101 if you are looking for concealed carry. This gun shoots .38's real nice. Good luck.

Dan O

Back