Revolver project

Flyboy_451

Hey guys,

Decided to get off my butt and get to work on a custom revolver project. So, fit a bisley grip frame and custom grips, using an uncut barrel blank from Pac Nor, I cut an octagon barrel with integral sight ramp, then made a hexagon ejector rod housing. Still have to fashion a front sight and mounting system, and going to weld up the frame where the EJH mounts and contour to match.

Lots of hand fitting to do yet, but it's coming along nicely.

What do ya think?

JW

image_1.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

Patience is the most important tool

But, it's also nice to have a full machine shop, lathes, mills, surface grinder, lots of tooling and 20 years of working as a machinist.

JW

I'm sure the whole project will be very rewarding to you when it is finished as well it should be with your progress already. Nice work! Have you decided on a finish yet? I think a brushed finish would be nice on it.

a few updates...

ok guys, first of all thanks for the compliments!

I thought I would show a little of what is involved in a project like this, and maybe shed a little light on some of the details that I think a lot of people never notice when looking at a stock gun vs one that has had attention from someone with a more critical eye and some hand fitting abilities.

image_6.jpeg

This is the beginning of the barrel work. Now, you may be wondering why its mounted in a lathe when it is going to become an octagon. Well, the first thing I wanted to do was make sue that the external diameter of the barrel was absolutely concentric to the bore. To accomplish this, the 1.25" barrel blank was mounted in a four jaw lathe chuck that allows me to use a dial indicator to set the bore of the barrel on the exact center of the lathe. Then I took a small cut, just enough to remove some material from the full diameter of the barrel for a few inches. Now the outside of the barrel is concentric to the bore in tha area that I have cut. This will become the area that I hold the barrel by in the next step, cutting the octagon flats.

image_7.jpeg

In this photo, the barrel has been moved to the mill and chucked into an indexing head. This allows for the work piece to be rotated in exact amounts to allow the machining of the flats. As you can see, the front sight ramp is starting to take shape by cutting a shorter distance on one flat.

image_8.jpeg

Here, the mill work is nearly complete. The octagon is nicely formed and about ready to go back into the lathe to cut the shoulder and threads for mating to the frame. Unfortunately, I did not take pics of that stage. Sorry...

image_14.jpeg

Now, it's time to remove the machining marks left from cutting the flats. This is done by hand with a series of mold polishing stones and sand paper. Not a fast process!

and now... a few of those details I was talking about earlier...

image_9.jpeg

Look at the lower portion of the load gate. you can see a small "bump" where the contour of the gate does not match the contour of the recoil shield. This area will have to be carefully filed to shape, sanded, stoned and refinished for a smooth transition.

image_10.jpeg

This one is a little more subtle. I've scuffed the load gate with sandpaper to show the areas that don't match up well to the recoil shield. once again, careful filing,stoning, sanding and finishing will cure this defect. While it may be minor, it's the details that make the overall project stand out when completed.

JW

continued from above...

image_13.jpeg

Notice the upper and lower rear corners of the cylinder window. See how they have an uneven and rough appearance? again...filing, stoning and sanding...

image_12.jpeg

Because everyone just loves to have rough machining marks on the inside of their frame...Care to guess how this will be fixed? Yep, filing, stoning and sanding....

Another process that I did not photo document was fitting the grip frame. If you have to own a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero revolver, take a moment to look at the fit between the cylinder frame and grip frame. 10 to 1 says that you will find multiple areas where the seams between the two have ledges and overhangs. Start looking closely at the remainder of the gun, and you will likely find other areas where the fit and finish could be better. Guess how all of these areas can be remedied... you get the point.

If you have ever wondered why it is that the top custom gun builders charge the prices that they do, the above may help explain some of what you are paying for. The guns that carry names like Dustin Linebaugh, Hamilton Bowen, Andy Horvath and many others, are exquisitely hand fit and finished in all of these areas and more. As you can imagine, this is a time consuming process, and exactly why I said early on in this thread, that the most important tool to have is patience!

JW

Of course it will be .45 Colt!

So will this be a .45 Colt gun or is it some other more exotic caliber?

Sixguns are made in other calibers? Who'd a thunk it?! :D

Seriously tho... While I own a bushel basket full of single actions, in calibers from .22 to .475, with a 500 Linebaugh being built by Dustin Linebaugh, the old Colt cartridge remains one of my favorites. Easy to reload, comfortable to shoot and covering a wide envelop of performance, it's pretty hard to argue with the 143 year old warhorse!

JW

image_23.jpeg

matching the frame contour to the ejector rod housing. I thought this was a nice little touch.
image_22.jpeg

Still some minor finish work to do, but it's coming along nicely.

image_21.jpeg

You may notice the distinct lack of a front sight...

image_20.jpeg

The tapped hole is to accept a 6-32 screw for test firing to determine the sight height required.

The top flat and radius face of the sight base have been bead blasted to reduce glare. Nearly complete...

Wow!
I'm always impressed with people that can make wood do what they want and even more impressed with folk that can make metal do what they want. Must be satisfying!
Looking forward to the range report.
Good luck!

Just incredible. I always marvel at the skills others posses that I lack.:eek:

So far, I love what you've done. Looking forward to seeing the completed gun. Beautiful

Do you plan to add some lettering to the barrel or will you leave it unblemished ?
I think it needs a NAME..

Wonderful concept and glorious execution. Well done.

It's gonna cost you a lot of shooting time at the range - people gonna see it and ask - you're gonna have to tell the story the rest of your life, -- but it is a beauty to behold. Beautiful work on a grand idea.

This is the first of a matched pair

This one will go to my brother and the second one will be mine. Planning to have our names engraved down the blackstrap and the word "Brothers" on the left flat of the barrel with a small scroll accenting.

I will deliver his this coming October when I go out to visit him.

Back