Revolver or semi-auto for ease of concealment

Shmacky

Inactive
Is it easier to conceal a (J-frame) revolver IWB or a semi-auto IWB? I am looking for a comfortable IWB pistol. J-frame revolver , 1911 or polymer? I need a comfortable IWB pistol.

I would have to say that it is up to the individual as to what fits them the best. I have carried my J frame in both IWB and shoulder holster. It's a md#37 airweight so its lite to start. Some of the other guns I have carried IWB make me feel as though I should be wearing suspenders. I have a Colt Detective special that I carried IWB, with factory grips it was ok.. I put Pachmyer grips on it and it changed its profile. I guess what it really comes down to is what works best for you. What fits your body profile the best.

------------------
gun control is people control

I prefer a full size slim pistol for carry.

I feel comfortable of IWB carry of a full size pistol. When I am carrying my 4" size it looks like it is getting out from it's holster if there is no cover strap.

Small revolvers are much better for pocket carry, as they just seem to fit a pocket much better than the square-backed pistol.

IWB it probably makes little difference, however, IWB is not totally concealed in most situations.

Your size/weight are big factors. My Glock 19 is too thick for me but I'm 5'11", 150. I want to get a 1911 for the thickness factor but it's a Taurus .38 til then..

The most concealable pistol, that is still very shootable, I've found, is my Kahr K9. I was amazed at how well it shoots and I can conceal it under a t-shirt while carring it in a IWB holster (Milt Sparks SS-2).

A S&W M442 inside a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion is as comfortable as it gets. If you can tolerate more weight, the S&W M640 (.357 magnum) with the same holster is all day comfortable. With autos I have found the Sig P232 (.380) and Kahr K9 to be extremely comfortable. Note that all four of these handguns have no sharp edges and, except for the Sig, no exposed hammer. The Sig hammer rides low and does not cause discomfort. Without the holster, the M642 with 5 rounds will weigh around 26 ounces, and the Kahr 9 with 7 rounds will weigh in around 32 ounces. A good holster and a good belt helps them ride comfortably all day. The M442 airweight fully loaded will weigh less than 20 ounces, and the Sig P232 with 7 rounds weighs about 22 ounces. All are good choices. If weight is your primary concern then go with the M442. If power is your major concern then go with the Kahr or the S&W M640. If you like a lightweight, cool auto go with the P232.

I have found that of all the criteria

---slim
---short
---light

The one that really matters is "slim." The thickness is really the measurement that makes a gun easy or hard to conceal.

To that end, I go with a Kahr K9, which is big enough to give a full grip, heavy enough to feel good in shooting practice, and slim enough to conceal.

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

Back