Revolver Or Pistol

roy reali

This topic is a take off of one on the shotgun section.

If a person was to have an arm or hand injured during a confrontation, would he be better off with a revolver or a semi auto? Assume that the person will have to operate and shoot one handed.

Which would you prefer in such a scenario?

I would rather have a revolver because you wouldn't have to rack the slide one-handed. You might be able to do it if you practied though.

I can't think of a way to clear a jam in an auto with one hand... I could re-load and I might be able to release the slide to chamber the next round... But how would you clear a jam?

I'd rather have a wheelgun in that situation.

You can usually clear a malfunction by snagging the rear sight on a belt, shoe or other item. Clearly not a task done quickly.

If you are planning on having a malfunction, a revolver is definately the way to go. When it comes to reloading one handed, I think I will take my chance with a semi-auto.

Yeah the instuctor in my CHP class showed us how to clear it on your shoe if you can get on one knee. I've practiced dropping to one knee and clearing it many times. I'll have to try it on my belt.

I prefure the auto. If the fight goes till the revolver is dry and you need to reload your spare ammo carrier and haveing the cylinder open becomes an issue. sure you can swing open the cylinder and rub the ejector down your leg to get the empties out but you have to tuck the gun in your belt with the cylinder open to reload it.

Being able to do this under fire will be a good trick and speed loaders will be hard to line up with cylinder in this position. Single rounds will be fumbled and will take a long time to load into gun

If you try to reload with your bloody hand then you are filling the action with crap and you may not get the cylinder closed.

Autos with an American mag release, as long as you can get to the spare magazine with your good hand you should be able to hold the gun somewhere (between your legs, in your holster, under your other arm ect) to have the butt accesible to charge the gun. I hook the rear site on my belt and push straight down to rack the slide (keep your finger off the trigger:D )

For the average citizen, if the fight goes beyond emptying a revolver, you're probably in deeper than you can get out of in the first place.

But these are global citizens of the Internet, Boss, they're under siege by legions of terrorist zombies 'round every corner!

But these are global citizens of the Internet, Boss, they're under siege by legions of terrorist zombies 'round every corner!

No not under siege but a free man that can walk the planet and have confidence that under most conditions I can defend myself. That confidence has led to a great life for me as I come and go without fear that I can't handle what may come.

Yep I may get killed but it will be as a free man and not someone so inadaquate they fear to tread on what land God has given them. I am not a warrior or a wannabe I am just a proud American and happy I have the freedom to bear arms.

Yep I may get killed but it will be as a free man and not someone so inadaquate they fear to tread on what land God has given them

Many of us feel this way even when unarmed. A .45 will not take the place of a set of cojones ... :D

Wheelgun. I can fire it from any position and from odd positions of cover. Also, if you could in this situation...get away as quickly as possible with cover.

Many of us feel this way even when unarmed. A .45 will not take the place of a set of cojones ...

I better let you go you have suffered enough embarassment.:)

Last edited:
It is not difficult to reload or to clear a semi-auto jam one handed. Even taking care of a double-feed isn't hard once you know how to do it.

If you don't know how to do it, get yourself to a good class to learn. It's quite dangerous to try if you don't know what you're doing.

Oh, original question? You're best off with whichever weapon you're most familiar with, but have to add that if you're going to be working one handed, I think it's considerably better to have a gun that'll shoot more rounds before you have to do a reload.

pax

I can only say that the weapons I actually keep loaded in-house for home-defense (with the exception of a shotgun) are all revolvers with speedloaders as backup. A revolver, as I see it, has several distinct advantages in that particular scenerio. First, virtually absolute reliability; second, no safeties or slide racking to worry about when your head might not be entirely clear; and third, no springs under constant compression for a weapon that may remain loaded and untouched for months at a time.

Ehh, there British Soldier, . . . gotta remember that them revolvers are just great for turning around and nailing up wanted posters, . . . and in a pinch, you can use that .45 Colt to re-set the nails in a loose horse shoe.

Beyond that, . . . make mine 1911 in .45 ACP flavor, 8 in the mag, one in the tube, 2 spare 8 rd mags on the belt or in the pocket, . . . cocked & locked.

My 1911 is every bit as reliable as any wheel gun (more reliable than some I know of) and anyone who starts out with the "racking the slide", or "compressed springs" arguments, . . . need to take some simple classes in firearms.

Yes, . . . most people who don't care about their abilities, . . . will be better off with a revolver. But for those who are willing to take some time to become more familiar with their firearm, . . . do a little practice, . . . spend some time on the range, . . . maybe do a little IDPA shooting, . . . the auto is by far the superior handgun.

Reloading a wheelgun with one hand is a no win situation, . . . with a 1911, it is a snap: thumb drops out empty mag, . . . place new mag between knees, between feet, in the front edge of a shallow drawer, wherever, . . . and get the grip over top of it. Slide the hand down so it is holding the mag and the grip, push down on any hard surface, . . . re-grip the weapon and punch the slide release, . . . voila, . . . reloaded. The beauty of the auto is it also allows you to do a tactical reload if you get the opportunity to do so.

Wheelguns do have their place, . . . but with the advances made by HK, Glock, Springfield, Sig, and a host of others, . . . wheelguns' real place may just be up on the mantle, in the hunting arena, in CAS and SASS, and in the history books.

May God bless,
Dwight

Clearing is easy with one hand just need to practice...

I would go for the automatic in this day and age of many rounds and multiple magazines. No contest.

Clearing/reloading is something they teach today. Both right and left hand shooting is now in the order of training. Has been for quite a while. Some of the Depts have so many different pistols they are having problems that are worse than just the shooting of them. Quite time consuming and not something I think should be done.

One gun and one gun only is my thought. Go for the 40 S&W cal. In a good gun and stick with it. Smith or Sig would be my choice for LEO's. One or the other and I would go for the full size and the compact for off duty or not.
90% of the time most inner city guys and girls pack more than one gun when on duty, plus knives and other trick things.

I like my Glocks, but I would pick something else for LEO work. I would also make sure the people learn how to fire it without pressing the Mag disconnect. I would go back to the opposite hand protecting the bottom of the Mag. Some styles don't cover that important item.
MHO...
edit: There is an article in the new AR Mag about a 45 1911a1 sitting for 50 years with the gunloaded and magazine full. Fired flawlessly...
Good article.
Harley

Revolver or automatic? doesn't really matter as long as you carry it in 22 LR. It's the only way to be sure.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I got this from an expert so don't yell at me:)

Back