Revolver not legal in California

Hotboy

I was perusing the listings on GunsAmerica and found several ads for revolvers that said they couldn't be sold to Kalifornia. Here's a typical one:

RUGER mod#GP100 6" barrell .357mag cal. This gun has the original factory grips wood w/rubber edges. This gun is in very good condition. about 95% It,s had very little use. This gun "CAN NOT BE SOLD TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS"

I thought that if a handgun is on the DOJ-approved list and doesn't have a hi-cap mag, then it's no problem to sell in Kali.

What other possible reason could there be for a .357 revolver like the one above not to be legal in Kalifornia?

Thanks!

This is just speculation

Perhaps it is illegal to buy guns from .com places (such as gunbroker.com) in CA? I know you can buy the GP 100 brand new here, and also used ones that reside in this state. It might just not be legal to buy them through internet auction type sites? Just a guess.

I think the seller is using an old list. If you're interested, let him know the gun is now on the approved list and give him the web site of DOJ in CA. And, yes, one can purchase guns using the net in CA, but all NFA and CA gun laws apply. Your purchase must go FFL to FFL. Generally, the FFL on the CA end will charge $50 for the transfer consisting of $15 DROS, $10 for the gun, and $25 to handle the internet transfer. This is reasonable in my view.

Thanks PKAY. You're prolly right about the seller using an old list.

I have checked out a few FFLs and have found that many charge a percentage + a fee, which can make the transfer cost $75-100, which I thought was pretty outrageous.

I thought I had read that the transfer fee in other states was around $25. Are the Kali dealers just gouging us?

Can you explain what the "DROS" charge is?

Thanks!

Hotboy - DROS stands for Dealer Record Of Sale, the paperwork you have to fill out to buy the gun. If you purchase from the net, your FFL can charge any fee he wants over the CA DROS and state imposed gun fee (in the case of a handgun, $10). It pays to shop around. Fees vary as you indicated. It has been my experience that some FFL's, primarily dealers with store fronts, will charge whatever the market will bear. Some won't handle net sales at all because it "hurts their sales." Others will charge reasonably. And yet there are those who will try to screw you. This is a capitalist country. Compete the hell out of 'em.

also another *gotcha* is about finish,
even if the gun is on the approved list, it has to exact manufacturer and exact model AND exact finish,
means, for example, if Ruger sent revolver(black finish) to (stupid)testing center, and approved, then you can buy only (black finish)that model, if you want to buy blue finish,or if Ruger want to sell blue finish, Ruger HAS TO SEND blue finish gun to that stupid testing center, and tested for "black finish gun and blue finish gun is really same gun or not?" AND Ruger HAS TO PAY money (so called listing fee in addition to testing fee) more for blue finish,

I know, stupid, huh????

that's why I can only buy CZ-75B black finish(blue? maybe), even thou I want different finish,
the only other way is,currently, private party transfer within Kalifornia,

or sellers in auction site just simply doesn't want to bother or follow read thru complex Kali law book,

It's really very simple: I choose not to live in the PRK. I choose not to follow the laws of the PRK. Therefore, any guns I sell will be listed as "This gun WILL not be sold in California." Not cannot-will not. I'm not going to the PRK's "DOJ" site to look at anything for any reason.

Back