Revolver mods

Kermit

I am new to revolvers. I have had some form of semi-auto handgun since I turned 21 (legal age in CA.) Anyway, I recently scratched my revolver itch by purchasing an OLD 586. Now, I like the gun. It's accurate, smooth trigger and there is just something about a 6" 357 magnum. Anyway, my only complaint re: this gun is that the trigger pull is a little long (I shoot it double action.) Is it possible to shorten the trigger pull? Is this a worth while modification? What other mods are done to revolvers?:)

PS...can anyone give me a rough idea on how old a 586-1 is. I was recently at the range and asked about their rental 686-6. They said that it was about 10 years old. Geez, that would make mine OLD!:eek:

1986 IS OLD ?

Geez Kermit, not in the revo world !

I've never looked into shortin'nun a DA but I'll give you a tip. Have a TRUE revo 'smith tune your
DA for the lightest and smoothest pull. You'll develope a glideing 'touch' after useing it for a while to the point where you wouldn't even realize
you are pulling the trigger. It's kind of hard to explain but a few of my Smiths have this glass
action when pulled slow and at a constant rate.
The 2 best are a 1956 pre29 and a 1939 .38/44 Outdoorsman. One of the reasons the Outdoorsman is
so smooth is it's proly been shot 50,000 times...
I hope more revos follow you home. Best...dewey

Kermit, I've never heard of that either.

Perhaps you may be able to accomplish much the same thing with a different set of grips.
Do the ones on your gun now have material covering up the backstrap? If so, a simple change to ones with an open back will make a marked difference. Ditto if the gun is equipped with the large set of factory wood stocks. There's a whole lot more palm-swell in those than most hands will ever need. This keeps you from getting more finger on the trigger for better control.

My semi-autos have taught me to shoot w/ the pad of my finger, so naturally, I shoot my revolver w/ the pad of my finger.
The trigger is fine. It has been broken in very well. It has a vintage S&W DA trigger. I'm just curious about possibly shortening the pull. :confused:
I don't know if it's because of a lack of experience, but the long pull seems to go in a couple of stages. I think I'd prefer just one smooth, short pull.:)

My youngest revolvers are about ten years old: my Lew Horton 640 Carry Comp (1991), and the 686 2.5" (1989). I have a 19 from the late 80s, a 686-nought from the early 80s, and several Smiths made in the 70s. My Model 28 Highway Patrolman was made in 1972 and is just a year younger than I am, and my Model 25 was made between 1968-1974 and may very well be older than me.

Revolvers age very well, and you'll find that some of the finest wheelguns around were manufactured in the 1960s and 1970s.

Quick lesson in double action shooting.

Shortening the pull requires serious alteration of the geometry of the trigger and hammer. Rather expensive and ABSOLUTELY not required.

First: Get a decent pair of grips as VictorLouis suggests. Either the rubber Pachmayer type or (my preference) Herrett's Shooting Stars. Make sure they fit your hand. Grip fingers should wrap around far enough to get a good hold on things. Trigger finger should engage trigger at first joint.

Second: Dry fire. Use both hands, cycle trigger through while watching sights on a plain blank wall. Concentrate on tip of front sight. Goal is to drop hammer without bobbing the sights. One single continuous pull; like ringing a doorbell. Not jabbing, not taking forever, just "in - out". Bing - Bong.

Third: If you feel you must have some action work done, have these steps executed.
*Fit cylinder star to hand. (If the 'smith doesn't understand what you want, smile sweetly and go elsewhere. Do NOT leave gun.)
This is the process wherein the lobes on the extractor star are matched to the hand that rotates the cylinder. This is the adjustment that smoothes out the pull. There are several (one for each chamber) lobes on the star and one hand, so the star much be fitted to the hand, not the hand to the star.
*Fit internal trigger stop.
*Install quality aftermarket springs.
*In some extreme cases, the primary double action hump on the trigger must be reshaped.

"Polishing the action" can be done. It is expensive and merely replicates what you do in dry firing.

Age... I bought my 581 revolver in 1981 or so. When they first came out. It's still ticking. My 44 Special was purchased second hand, but dang near unused in 1974. I've a couple of K frames purchased as "police trade ins" with no concept of age. But they shoot really well.

I see you live in Chino Hills. I'm in Long Beach. There are possibilities here.

S&W 586 - That was my first and for now, is still my only 357 Magnum. I love it. I could never even think of parting with it. You made a wise choice. :) I don't know if you can get rid of a long trigger pull, but you should be able to get some lighter springs put in.

revolver mods

get a set of wolffe reduced power springs have a gunsmith install them if you do not know how to properly dissasemble a revolver,test for reliability,with a hard arkansas stone gently stone all bearing surfaces except case hardened parts!Any revolver smith worth his salt will know enough to check the gun for cylinder cramp the condition that occurs when the hand is to long for the ratchet pad If these steps are taken any smith revolver will have a nice action the only reoson the old smiths have better actionsis they took the time to do these steps at the factory ,except springs.

I bought a 686 from an old guy who had been a gunsmith. It was his personal gun, and he installed a Trapp spring kit for reduced trigger pull. That 686 has the best single action trigger pull of any pistol I have ever felt.

Ignore ALL of the above! Get a copy of Ed McGivern's "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" and DRY FIRE CONTINUOUSLY!!!! The only thing you really need is to build your muscles. The trigger finger is not used for much else. Reading his book, you'll find that McGivern "staged" his trigger! Pausing for a split second, to refine his sights, before squeezing that final ounce of pressure to fire the gun. His book is the answer (plus lots of practice!) for double-action revolver shooting. Once bitten, it's a fascinating way of firing a gun! Hip-shooting will naturally fall in there, also. You'll be amazed at how accurately you can learn to "point" a revolver!

Back