Revolver load seating depth

Very little point to that, I would expect.

You can't get the bullet any closer to the lands than the nose of the bullet being even with the front face of the cylinder, and still have a functioning revolver.

Next point is that your available "range" of seating depth is determined by the bullet design, and what crimp you apply.

The tricks that can improve accuracy in rifles often don't work the same in handguns, if they are even possible. I'm sure someone has tried different seating depths to improve revolver accuracy.

The fact that we hear so much about how well it works speaks volumes about how well it works. :rolleyes:

Feel free to try, perhaps you'll discover something no one else has. I don't think so but, you might. Good Luck!!

If you are looking to improve revolver accuracy, you pretty much do best to follow the trail blazed by revolver smiths of yore, when revolvers were still the top competitive bull's-eye handguns. All chambers were reamed to match each other's shapes, and so the throat was at least 0.001" over the barrel groove diameter (and lead bullets were sized to match the throats). The cylinder bolt or lock is shimmed or ground as needed, so the chambers line up perfectly with the bore and have no offset. Any bore constrictions (common where the barrel screws into the frame) were lapped out. A proper trigger job was done without over-lightening the springs.

It's much bother, but once you have that done, differences caused by ammunition should become much more apparent and may guide your loading practices.

Back