Revolver life expectancy

Kermit

I'm new to revolvers, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible. Anyway, a buddy was telling me that because the revolver has so few moving parts, as less parts which take the abuse from the shooting, that they will last longer. Now, all things being equal, ie...will a revolver last longer? COuld I count on 2X, 3X or 4X more rounds from a revolver?

NO

And I am a revolver freak. Modern (less than a hundred years old) double action revolvers do not have less moving parts than most autoloaders. The revolver has less moving parts that are directly affected by the fireing but they have more moving parts involved overall. A good example of either should run +- 50 thousand rounds before needing tuning.

I like the ability to shoot any shape bullet at whatever pressure I desire in a revolver without affecting function. Autoloaders are a bit more finicky about what they are fed.

Sam

As CR Sam said a revolver (particularly a DA revolver) has more moving parts and is more complex mechanically than most pistols. What revolvers will do is run a longer with less maintenance than a pistol. To obtain maximum life expectancy (and reliablility) with pistol, you must regularly replace at a minimum the recoil spring and magazines springs and generally keep them better lubricated and cleaner than a revolver (not that you can/should abuse a revolver). For example, I have a a 47 year M28 that has shot nothing but .357 Magnums its entire life, is all original (springs and all) and shoots better than new (literally)--I would hope nobody is running any automatic with the kind of round count that it has with the original recoil spring.

There are some variables involved generally a bigger revolver firing low to medium pressure loads will last longer than a medium or small revolver (particularly with high pressure loads)--it is possible to destroy a K-frame (and J-frames) .357 Magnums, but the same is true of pistols.

I'll let you know one day soon. I regularly shoot my 1941 P-38 and my 1935 S&W N in 45. So far it's a dead heat but one day we'll know.

I wouldn't worry about it. Not many of us will last longer than our weapons.

Ammunition and use are two variables which determine the wear on a firearm. Another important variable is the maintenance the user gives the gun. The cleaner the better as dirt has an abrasive effect on moving parts. Given proper care, a gun will outlast the lifetime of the user. Consider that when the North- South Skirmish Association first started up, they were using original Civil War weapons. Finally, any modification made to the gun which are outside of the original factory specifications could either shorten or help lengthen a gun's life span. Those recoil buffers works wonders for reducing the slamming, but they can adversely affect reliability.

Mind you, some parts are more likely to require replacing than others. Recoil springs or magazines (or parts therein) for pistols. On some revolvers, the hand (or pawl can wear and may need peening or replacement). Same with the cylinder stop (bolt).

Rule of thumb: If you shoot a lot, have your gun inspected annually by a gunsmith. This should entail complete disassembly and cleaning, inspection of parts and replacement of worn parts where necessary.

Thanks guys. I learn something new everyday. Should I be leary about a 586-1 w/ 6" barrel that has been refinished (parkerized)? Everyhthing seems to be working well and the price is more than right.:confused:

It's pretty hard to hurt a 586 with any reasonable load. But I have to wonder whyinheck would anyone Parkerize one of the nicest guns in the S&W line? I hate to be suspicious, but was there something to cover up?

Jim

Actually, the parkerized finish COULD be factory.

S&W sent a lot of 586/686s overseas for foreign contracts.

I've seen quite a few interesting variations, including ones with bright blue finishes, very matte blue finishes, .38 Spl. versions, etc.

I think a factory Pakerized 586 would be cool. I also think a 586 would be a tough gun in any finish. I am underwhelmed by it's sister in stainless, the 686. But if one isnt a high vollume shooter they both good.

Sam

More revolvers are damaged by wannabe gunsmiths trying to perform an action job than being shot loose with factory ammo.
If you do a search there have been a couple of excellent threads in the past six months on how to check over a used revolver.
If you like the 586 grab it, they are excellent revolvers.
Take Care

Back