Revolver Cylinder Dings

Ok all you revolver experts, take a look at yours and let me know if it's considered 'normal' for a revolver cylinder to develop small indentations from the cylinder stop.

This is where the stop comes to rest in the cylinder groove, on the *flat side* of the groove (as opposed to the side that slopes into the groove).

If so, after how many rds did it first start to develop?

If this is not clear, let me know and I will take a picture.

Thanks, Greg

If I'm reading you correctly, this is commonly known as cylinder "drag out". This is entirely normal if you do much DA shooting.
It can also happen if the gun is out of time. This can be checked by SLOWLY cocking the gun while watching the cylinder locking bolt. The bolt MUST be withdrawn completely from the cylinder BEFORE the cylinder starts to rotate.
If not, this will pull the edge of the locking slot out, leaving a burr. This can also give the trigger pull a "hard spot", since the cylinder is trying to rotate before it's completely unlocked.

Normal. Happens quicker when the revolver is fired extremely fast. Happens quicker with stainless guns. Happens very slowly with blue steel guns of good manufacture that are used for bullseye work or casual plinking only. Very heavy loads will also accelerate the battering.

Sam

Plus what Deferriswheel said.....he post while I type.

Back