revolver break in

libiglou

Hey Guys

A question for the members of the forum? I have several revolvers ,all with stock triggers some better than others. How much of a factor does a trigger breakin involve with actually improving the trigger pull either through use or over time. For example my s&w 686 has a sweet trigger that improved over time(bought it in 1987) through firing 1000's upon 1000's of rounds. I tried to speed up the process on a 617 by lots of dry firing(snap caps) and that trigger is the same as when I bought the gun. Does brand affect this? I also have a ruger redhawk that I bought used and that trigger is sweet as well and I don't believe the gun was fired much but the gun is 80's production. Interested in your experiences
Thanks

Shooting/dry firing will make a good trigger better, but will not make a bad trigger a good one. Takes a legitimate trigger job to do that. All shooting/dry firing is doing is polishing the mated surfaces, a small part of any trigger job. What shooting/dry firing also does, is improve the strength in your trigger finger, thus making any trigger easier to pull.

Back