Votes: 12 16.9%
  • 2"

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CZ_

What is the best all around barrel length for a revolver?

For my needs, I think the 4" barrel is the best all around length.

My all time favorite is the 6", but for pure all around use I got to go with 4".

This poll will allow voting for 2 days.

Last edited:
For an equal amount of CCW vs open carry/home use, I'd say 4". If you get into handgun hunting, go with 6" - it can still be concealed. If you mostly conceal but do some open carry, 3" is probably your best bet. Any shorter is for a dedicated CCW gun IMHO. Best all around? 4".

The best all-around barrel length, IMHO, is the 4" barrel. I consider my 4" Model 19 to be the perfect "do-everything" handgun. A 4" barrel is just about perfect for IWB carry, and it really helps the .357 Magnum get up to speed as well.

Lendringser said it. Tho I just had to pat my 2½ round butt 19 to keep it from squirming in my pocket. 4" just flat good for all things, and excellent at most.

Sam..........my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R

In general I like the 5" and 3", but often there is no choice as in the Mountain Guns.
However, the 657 MG balances very well in my hands. So I guess sometimes it is just the feel that sells me.:D

I voted for the six inch,

because as I get older I need the extra sight radius. If I were a
young man, I probably would have given the nod to the 4" barrel.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I voted for 4", as I do believe it is the best all-around. I must say I'm pleased with the strong showing of the 3" barrel, which is my second choice.

I would have to say 6 " would be the ideal length, even though my 686 and 629 are both in 8 3/8" and my Bisleys are 7 1/2". I have fired 629's in 6" and found them to be very controllable. Feel the six inchers are still not too big for home defence, probably a bit much for CCW, but excellent for hunting purposes.

Have to admit though, when plinking at the range with full house loads for my 8 3/8" 629, I barely notice any recoil (perceived or otherwise). It makes sighting for accuracy a real possibility for a guy like me who doesn't enjoy heavy recoiling guns. Safe shooting.

Back