Revisiting the 6mm Creedmoor

taylorce1

So a few years back I built a 6mm Creedmoor on a Stevens 200 action.

I kind of let it languish in limbo and had even sold the optics off of it. A buddy has convinced me to spend some time doing rodent control on prairie dogs this spring and summer. So I decided to pull this rifle out and move it to the front.

I found a new optic, but it's a bit of a beast. An FFP Arken 34mm 4-16X50 MOA used for a decent discount used, and ordered up some Leupold QRW rings for it and an Silencer Co ASR single port muzzle break to mount my silencer. So I mounted up the scope and tried to install the muzzle break one nice day so I could go shoot. While installing then muzzle break, while timing it I spun the barrel. I didn't have gages to reset the headspace, so I loaded up the barreled action and a couple others and made the trek to my gunsmith.

I got it back on Tuesday, freshly headspaced. I also decided to cerakote it flat black while it was there. I also had my Savage 93 .22 WMR threaded and My Howa 6 Creedmoor trimed to 20" and threaded for my suppressors. So I took some time to remount my optics today and take a few pictures. As soon as I get a decent sunny day with under 40 mph winds I'll take it to the bench for some trigger time.

20230223-154832.jpg

20230223-154757.jpg

20230223-154853.jpg

It was 10lbs 4.4oz before supressed, here it is unsuppressed. My suppressor will add exactly 1 pound more. Thankfully this will be used mainly from the bench, I'd not enjoy carrying it around.

IMG-20230222-083330-01.jpg

I think I'll do something about the stock next, I'm not fond of the digital camouflage scheme.

Last edited:
i've got the perfect solution for you, same thing I tell a lot of people who aren't happy with a rifle for one cosmetic reason or another.

Take it out and shoot the crap out of it.

At the end of the day you will either love the rifle or hate the rifle. If you hate it, move it along. If you love it, leave it alone and shoot it some more at a later time. That advice has worked for decades and people think I'm brilliant (just for that, though, believe me).

Right now all I'm shooting in it is Hornady Black 105 grain BTHP. They're a little slow at 2750 fps, mainly due to the 18" barrel.

I'm kinda surprised it weighs that much--I've built several AR10s in creedmoor with even longer thicker barrels that weigh in very close to what you have. Assuming you have a AICS style magazine, you should have a distinct advantage in the cartridge lengths you can load over what a semi-auto can do.

stagpanther said:
I'm kinda surprised it weighs that much--Assuming you have a AICS style magazine

It's Savage so it's going to be heavy. I definitely went with the wrong contour barrel, a Savage Mag contour will weigh 3+ lbs at 18". The factory Accustock doesnt do me any favors on weight either.

However, I decided to embrace the weight and use it as a bench gun. That's why a 36 ounce scope now sits atop it. I'd be crazy to use that scope on a rifle I actually intended to carry for any distance.

I'm using the factory magazine, it isn't as generous as the ACIS. It is a little better than an AR-10 mag though. I don't know what exactly I'll reload, probably my 100 gr Sierra GK bullets. I have about 3K blems and 1K firsts of them on the shelf. I was going to use them in my 6X45, but it enjoys the 85 grain Sierra HPBT.

My magazine is 3.02" and could probably load 2.95" comfortably. I had to pull it out and measure this morning.

Last edited:
Hornady's eld bullets seem to be top performers in most of my 6mm chamberings. If you're doing chuck control I suppose it's not going to matter much if you vaporize them with an eldm.

Back