Revisiting Issue of Revolver for My Wife: HD .38/.357

Jorah Lavin

Hi, All

I'm anticipating being hired within the next several weeks by the folks I've been working for as a contractor.

Even without a raise, not having to pay for my own health insurance will mean that I'll have much nicer cash flow, and I'll be able to start saving up to buy my wife a revolver.

After some extensive "in store" searching, it became clear that she doesn't care for autos, and fell in love with the S&W 640's size, looks, and smooth action. It was literally the only gun they had available that fit her hand, and the action was very smooth.

I'd like to steer her away from the S&W brand, so I'm thinking Taurus or Ruger.

I'd also like the gun to have more than a 2.25" barrel.

So, here is what I'd like to find...

A non-Smith, J-frame-sized, 3"+ barrel, slim wood grips, in .357 or .38+P (oh, and a nice, smooth trigger action would be great) in double action.

Light weight isn't an issue, since she probably will not ever carry the gun. She works from home, and I want something she can put on the desk next to her to replace the Model 10 that is there now (which is too big for her to handle comfortably).

I'm not looking for cheap prices... "lifetime quality" and reliability are more the keywords...

Thanks for your thoughts on this...

-Jorah

My two choices would be the Taurus 85 .38 special or the Taurus 605 .357 mag. Nice guns, good price and lifetime warranty.

Taurus' 850 (38spl) or 650 (357 mag) is their offering which is just like the S&W 640. You can get Uncle Mike's grips for them, either "combat" or "boot" style which give the Taurus an identical look and feel to the S&W.

I'll guess that one aspect she likes about the S&W is the relatively short trigger reach, mainly due to the exposed backstrap if it has the boot grips. The reach on the Ruger SP 101 may be too long, even with different grips, but it's worth looking at. The SP 101 does not have all that nice of an action, box-stock. However, they are a great gun, and would be worth investing in an action job, if the gun fits her.

I have a Taurus 650, it's a good gun. The action is very smooth. The snag-free design is great!

Congratulations on the new job!

I think the Taurus is the way I'll go...

The 650 looks great, and I'll probably get one (or the SP101 from Ruger, I still haven't made up my mind) for myself for winter coat-pocket carry.

M650SS2.jpg

I wonder if I could have a longer barrel put on for my wife? Does Taurus do custom work, or if not, I would expect that someone somewhere does work on these babies.

-J.

==================================
(edited:)
Ahhh, I went back and looked at the 85: it has a 3" barrel option (2" shown)
85ulblue.gif

and here is the pretty 605 Lennyjoe mentions:

605chrome.gif

==================================

PS: Thanks for the feedback, Lennyjoe & Sundog.

I just posted a pair of pocket warmers on the "let's see your wheelgun" thread. You can see the difference between the old wood style grips on the Model 85 from the new grips on the 650. My wife really prefers the wood grips, I think because it gives a shorter trigger reach. Again there are lots of grips available out there. Don't overlook the rosewood grips Taurus sells for for the GRC model. Or the walnut round butt grips. These on a 3" Model 85 could be just the ticket.

http://www.taurususa.com/grips-revolver.html

If you wife wants the 640, get her the 640. Too often men decide what is best for the wife or the kids and ruin any enjoyment that they may have had in selecting an acquisition for themself. You may be sending the message that she is not smart enough to know what she really wants or needs. Forget the Smith political stuff. Do yourself and your wife a favor - honor her request. Quality wise, Smith makes one of the best revolvers on the market today. Your wife recognizes quality!

If your wife really likes the 640, consider getting an older one. Probably better quality and still avoid supporting the gun grabbers.

Sam

There seem to be...

...an awful lot of square-butt, 3", heavy-barrel Model 36-1's on the used market right now. Maybe NYPD or somebody dumped a batch. These are sweet, sweet little wheelguns, and almost all the ones I've seen have been in like-new condition.

These were used by the NYPD as substitute-standard for officers whose hands were too small for the K-frame. It looks like a 4" Model 10 that somebody left in the drier too long.

Browse a gun show; the one here in K-town this weekend had three or four of the cute little guns.

Tamara makes an excellent suggestion. They are excellent guns and most of em are low mileage. I picked up a 3" 36 that was like new for two hundred a little while back. Worst price I have seen was under three hundred for one that looked like it was unfired. And it was the old time sweet lockwork too.

Sam

Arub, you have a point...

And I've not only thought that through, but discussed it at some length with my wife. She isn't someone who is "easily lead," and if she thought I was playing games with her safety based on politics, she'd dig her heels in something fierce. (In other words, she'd never use the gun and never let me forget it.)

The way she settled the matter last we talked was... a non-Smith if the action felt as good, otherwise, ignore politics and get the Smith. (I'll be getting a Ruger or Taurus for myself, if buying new, though!)

The idea of getting a second-hand pistol has a good appeal to me... I've got an old Military and Police Model 10 that shoots great.

I looked on one of the gun auction boards to see if I could find the revolver Tamara mentioned... they look nice:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2472677

I think I'll put the word out in the local shops to keep an eye out for some older Smiths I can look at and show her.

As always, thanks for the sage advice!

-J.

Ok, I understand money being tight, BELIEVE me, but if this is to be her gun, for her protection, and she really clicked with the S&W 640, then i would either just save up the extra money for it or start hunting a used one at the guns shows. I found a almost mint 640-1 down here at a recent gunshow used for $300.

The 3" HB SB S&W 36 that Tamara mentions is a very nice litte revolver. Down in this part of the world they run $190-250 depending on condition. I have one and will most likely become my g/f's new apartment gun. Eagle makes wonderful Secret Service grips for the square butt.

If you want to go non-S&W, then the various Taurus models do have plenty to offer, but i would recommend test firing it a lot before she carries it. I have seen several in the past few month that felt fine in the gun store but the tolerences were off and the cylinders would bind up on the forcing cone after a few rounds were fired. All the guns were easily fixed, but the problem only showed up after a few rounds had been fired out of them.

revolvergeek, funds certainly are tight,

but this is something I'll save up for, to get the right gun, one that she can fall in love with and will look forward to learning with.

After paying for my own medical insurance for the last six months, cash is really tight, but there isn't a real rush on this, and she deserves a good gun.

I was trying to avoid Smith because of what I've learned from other folks on this list... just how bad that agreement really was, not because of the price. If I could find a J-frame S&W with a 3"+ barrel used, I'd jump on it... I actually just hadn't thought of it until Tam or someone mentioned it.

My wife is one of those people who almost always picks the most expensive version of whatever she sees in front of her... not based on price, but on a sort of instinct for quality.

The one time we looked at shotguns, she grabbed one of the highest priced versions of the Rem 870, after the guy at the store showed her all the "ladies" scatterguns in the place.

We still haven't gotten it for her... the sewing machine repairs come first... ;)

-J.

FWIW

A .38 S&W Special only 640 was made with a 3" bbl. I believe that they were slightly smaller framed than the 640-1s (now all frames are the same regardless of wether it is chambered in .357 or just .38).

Get the 640 and not the cheap copy. BTW, if we are talking political betrayal, the Ruger is definitely out. I couldn't talk a loved one into a Taurus. I just wouldn't feel right about it.

ASBESTOS READY

Suggest getting wife EXACTLY what she wants (because she may not care about S&W's policies, and probably not bad guys either).

Used is best for our political sensibilities, BUT it's your wife.

(My wife's piece = older M38.)

...if we are talking political betrayal, the Ruger is definitely out
Cuervo de Chivo: I hear this before, can you please elaborate a bit more on this, and does it have to do with the 10 round cap magazines? Please explain, as I do not have more details.

Carlos

I've heard women say they have more brains in their finger than men have in their heads.... and this may be the proof. If she pulled the trigger on a new SW, her finger probably told her she had just found the smoothest factory trigger on a wheelgun. Get her a SW model 66 or 686 and you can't go wrong (and you won't need a trigger job). Be sure to do a side-by-side test if you are considering Taurus or Ruger.

Loving my 686 for over 20,000 rounds

Get her a SW model 66 or 686 and you can't go wrong (and you won't need a trigger job).

I'll second that! We resently just picked up a Model 66 for my wife. We just got around for shooting it today and are most pleased.This is a K frame so larger than your specified J frame but worth a look none the less.

a437866.jpg

Last edited:
You may want to read the requirements he listed again...

He says "J-frame size".

Someone goes "Get her a 66 or a 686".

Those would be K- and L-frames, respectively.

See, at the bottom of his post, he said "the Model 10 which is too big for her to handle". So, recommending a 66, which is the same size, or a 686, which is bigger, is kinda counterproductive.

As far as J-frame-size guns go (which use coil mainsprings, unlike their K-, L-, and N-frame brethren), the new Tauruses are every bit as good in the trigger department. This is not idle speculation. I handle the dang things every day. I was so impressed, I bought one.

It's funny, but those who disagree with the quality of the newer small-frame Tauruses rarely use technical revolver terminology in their posts to support their claims. I have yet to hear the words "timing", "stacking", "lockup", "runout", "endshake", "stageing", "b/c gap" or anything else in their claims to lend them the slightest credence.

It's usually just "I like my *&* revolver (*Note: usually "revolver"-singular ) They're the best. Those other brands suck".

Well, I like all my *&* revolverS, too. They are, for the most part, the best. But the other brands don't "suck". Matter of fact, in the small-frame, coil-sprung guns brand "T" these days is every bit as good, and in many cases better than brand "S".

Last edited:
Taurus Quality

I second Tamara's opinion on Taurus. After getting burned on a new revolver recently, I break out the feeler guages and fine tooth comb when I shop for revolvers now. The workmanship on small Taurus revolvers is first rate-compare one side by side to an SP101 or S&W. Taurus builds them right and cares about the details. Now if only they would make a J Frame sized 357 with a 3" barrel...

Back