review request Beretta Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootist16

I am looking for a new duty weapon. I am limited to 9mm by my dept. I see that almost noone has anything good to say about the S&W Sigma's so they are out. I am seriously looking at the Beretta Cougar, but I am not sure about the rotating barrel. Any opinions on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Well, I am not sure you have read all the reviews of the new sigma SW99, i recently purchased the gun and it is wonderful. comes in a 9MM and is light, loaded with nice features decock, chamber warning, lightwieght and very accurate i shot 3 inch groups with my .40 at 30 ft just out of the box and first time shooting, I am not a great shot but fairly accurate. has 3 dot sights ( not night) and a nice clip drop at your finger tip. do take a second look at this model, and test it out. i did see the same poor reports on the older sigmas being kind of cheap. but i dont have one of those.
keep looking. also the small sigs are nice if you want to drop some mula, i have the glock 17 and love it but its full size,lightweight.
MIke

My recomendation is GLOCK 17 or 19.Very little care is needed to keep it in top shape.Easy to take down for cleaning. Won't rust in the harshest conditions.Will take abuse and still not let you down.No half cock,cock and lock,decock etc. to worry about.A little range time and I think you'll love it.

Shootist16 , I had a Mini Cougar in 9mm and it was a pretty decent gun . I thought it was very accurate . I think for a duty gun you would be hard pressed to beat a Glock . They have for me always went bang , never jammed , never rusted and are easy to maintain , which is important after standing in the rain or digging mud out of the gun after a scuffle . Good luck , Mike...

Unfortunately the SW99 (which is the S&W version of the Walther, isn't it?) isn't approved and isn't likely to be. We are limited to Sig, S&W except the SW99, Beretta, and Glock. Our dept issues Glock 17s. I carried the Glock for about a year. I really like it, it shoots good (especially before the New York triggers and 8 lb connectors were installed). I have been carrying a Beretta 92 for about 5 years now. I just want to carry my own gun. I dont want to spend my money putting night sights on the cities gun. I really want a sigpro, if they ever get to the states in 9mm. I have just been looking at various options and the Cougar was one of them.

------------------
-Dennis

Take a serious look at the Beretta 92FS. You can get the Hi-Cap mags as I think the Beretta is the king of 9mm service weapons. I've been carrying on since the USAF switched over to them in 86-87, plus a good friend was on the board that shot/tested these weapons for the Army/Air Force.

I've seen these pistols abused way way beond anything you could ever immagne and still function flawlessly.

We have 1 92FS and when finances allow will be getting a Cougar for the wife's cary weapon.

One other full sice 9mm you should look into are the Sig 229 (I think) line of pistols. These are another excelent pistol rught behing the Beretta.

Roswell Gun Specialty had a sale on NEW cougars a few months ago for $388.00. It was an incredible deal, but they were DAO... and I don't much care for DAO, so I passed. They are great handling guns, accurate as anything, and look pretty good. I'd get the de-cock only version since I don't like fiddling with safeties. I'd get it for the accuracy.

For carrying, I'd get the Glock 19 since you are restricted to 9mm (but you get the hi-caps).

good luck and report back,
Ben

Although I don't have one, I was torn between it and the USP.

But just an idea: You would do well to handle one at a rental range if you haven't yet -- for my hands, the ergonomics were just beautiful. Everything fit perfectly, and the recoil is minimal -- less than my USP, and the balance is far better than the Glocks or the USP. (I haven't shot any Sigs yet, though).

I have a feeling the rotating barrel does do a very good job of reducing recoil/snap -- being an absolute amateur, the Cougar's recoil made follow-up target acquisition much easier. Almost like your hand wasn't jerked away.

The frame-mounted decocking lever was something else I liked, but then again, I have no combat/LEO experience -- the lever just is a nice way to be sure you're "safe" without the odd trigger creep of the Glocks.

I shied away as it seems like a mechanism prone to problems. That was also the hearsay agreement among the people at the range.

-Jon

well shootist16
I hate to hear you cannot even try the SW99 it is a good gun with what i think is alot of service features, I amnot in LE but the cocked warning spot on the rear, the quick thumb decocker, the chamber warnin spot all seem to point to a good LE weapon. oh well. i would to agree with the G19 for compactness and hi cap. i had a chance to shoot the 92 FS last week because i had heard alot about the gun and shot one 3 years ago. but now i think it is a huge brick, was very heavy, big shot ok less recoil but 9MM not bad in just about any gun, the benefit of the 92FS is if you run out of ammo you can beat him to death with the battle ax of a weapon. my forearm was pumped just after 100 rounds of quick shooting. just my 0.02

well shootist16
I hate to hear you cannot even try the SW99 it is a good gun with what i think is alot of service features, I amnot in LE but the cocked warning spot on the rear, the quick thumb decocker, the chamber warnin spot all seem to point to a good LE weapon. oh well. i would to agree with the G19 for compactness and hi cap. i had a chance to shoot the 92 FS last week because i had heard alot about the gun and shot one 3 years ago. but now i think it is a huge brick, was very heavy, big shot ok less recoil but 9MM not bad in just about any gun, the benefit of the 92FS is if you run out of ammo you can beat him to death with the battle ax of a weapon. my forearm was pumped just after 100 rounds of quick shooting. just my 0.02

------------------

Hey, Shootist16. If you can find night sights for a Cougar, then let us know. I've had an 8040 Mini Cougar for a couple years and have yet to see any companies make night sights for them. :(

TIA,
Rich

Rich I , Trijicon shows them on their website , part #BE03 - $110 , and Brownells sells them in the Meprolight version . Hope this helps , Mike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back