Review (1st look) C&S 40->9mm BHP conversion

KODB

Hey all!

As promised in October, I'm posting the results of the C&S custom BHP converted from 40 to 9mm. We decided to do this based on the relative paucity of new 9mm BHPs around and the thought that the slighly heavier construction and triple lugged barrel would prove easy shooting and extremely durable.

This morning I drove up to Fremont and picked up the first of a pair of custom BHPs we are having C&S do. These are (were) the NIB 40cals we are having converted to 9mm using a 3 lugged Barsto barrel.

First impressions:

It really looks and feels good. The carry bevel is very subdued and eliminates all sharp edges but the profile is unchanged and the weapon still fits great into the Mad Dog Gun Glove kydex holster (cut for 40BHP). The bluing and matte finish atop the slide arenicely done. The Novaks (MKII rear and C&S front ramp) are cut in perfectly and look great. The sight picture is crisp and typically Novak. The front and rear stippling is nicely executed and even with the stock thick grips feels great (the 2nd pistol still being worked on has Spegels on it). The mag well bevel is deep and almost "magnetic" in how it directs the mags when working reloads.

The SFS and safety lever is crisp and fast. The trigger is crisp and feels about 5ish pounds. I will be measuring the break later this week. The nicest thing about the SFS is the utter lack of hook from the cocked back hammer: no snag on clothes. It also might appeal to anyone not enamored carrying cocked and locked, though truth be told the only difference is that the hammer is down here. Once the safety is dropped (and it functions nicely with a very positive click)the hammer springs back. It's essentially Condition 1 carry with the hammer cosmetically down and out of snagging position.

The piece actually balances better and just feels more stable and better pointing than preC&S: I'm sure this is due to the shaved metal from the dehorning and all of the other fitting. It's subtle but very definite when hefting and pointing side by side with an unmodified MKIII.

The test target shows a ragged cloverleaf of 5 rounds at 15yds (124gr Federal hydrashock), shot standing 2 handed. We (this is actually my wife's gun) will shoot this weekend and report back on our handling/accuracy/reliability. Pictures to follow once I borrow a digital camera. I may wait til next week when the 2nd of the pair is completed.

All in all a wonderfully executed job and I'm very optimistic that it will shoot as well as it looks.

Regards,

Bob

(I also posted this over on fnhipower.com)

Bob.. I'm getting a new BHP 40. I have been thinking about getting the 9mm Bar-sto that Irv says he can fit to the .40 slide. What other work did you have to have done to make this work reliably. I have about 3,000 rds of 9mm sitting around with nothing to shoot it through! :(

Email me off list if you wish.

Cheers!

Birch

C&S also changed the recoil spring to a 15# variable. Nothing else was changed for function AFAIK. Use 9mm mags. We had a few other things done as detailed above, but would have had that done regardless of caliber. C&S gets Barsto to make their barrels with the old style hood or "nubbin" on the breech end of the barrel and machines the slide to fit as well.

I posted an update and firing report on http://www.fnhipower.com forums last week; check it out for data and reliability to date. Overall I'm pretty happy.

I've also settled on rubber Hogue grips despite how much I like the look and feel of the Spegels. I just shoot accurately more quickly with the rubber. I've kept the Spegels for dress up. I'm hoping that Mad Dog Labs will come out with their GunGrips for BHPs so I can try them out.

Good Luck!

Bob

Hello, KODB! Kudos on your conversion. What appeals most to me is that you now have a vehicle that should handle any Plus P load for the long-term without concern and without buffers, etc. Best.

Really nice Bob

Wow. What a nice job they did. That is a real beauty and workhorse all on one. Enjoy!

Pilot

Back