Returned to the gun show, and ....

StephenT

...picked up a SS NIB Colt 1991A1 Commander. Mine isn't the full size one, having a 4.25" barrel and the rounded hammer, but I was very impressed with its accuracy at the range today.

It's my first 1911, and I'd been wondering what the fuss was about...until now. I also considered the Springfield models, but they weren't quite as comfortable in my hand, and the Kimbers were a bit more than I was willing to spend. This one fits like a glove, and you've got to love that feel of stainless steel. Plus, I had to have an original Colt. I know about Colt's quality problems, but Colt did a nice job on this one.

As far as reliability, I did have one failure to feed in the very beginning, but it performed flawlessly afterwards, and it was a tackdriver at that. I've only put 100 rounds through it.

So, this is the world of the 1911. You guys warned me about the 1911 vortex, and I got sucked in anyway. I'll need to look into a full-size version next.

"You done good!! Kimbers are highly overated anyhow. "
Maybe a little overated...but not highly. But at least they aren't owned by an Iraqi national that would love to quit selling guns to us American civilians.
Sorry Steven...don't mean to rain on your parade. The Colt .45 is a classic. I just don't like Colt's politics.

[Edited by ATTICUS on 03-26-2001 at 09:30 PM]

Yeah, the Colt is pretty sweet. Now that I'm ready for a full-size 1911, what do you guys recommend? Among Springfield, Colt and Kimber, which comes closest to the original U.S. Army sidearm with a good trigger? Any happy owners of IAI's M-2000? BTW, was the U.S. Army issue blued? I prefer SS myself. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hey, folks. I see some of you have recommended the Argentina 1927 Sistema. I checked out the JDL site http://www.jldenter.com. The 1927 looks like a viable option, but how about its quality, accuracy and how good is the trigger pull? Basically, there mustn't be any loose parts if I were to shake it. How would it compare to the Colt 1991A1? I see they also have an original factory refurbished Colt on their website for a reasonable price. Thanks for your input.

Check out CDNN's website also. They did have the Argentinian (sp?)Colt for $355. I saw several at a gunshow this weekend and they were asking $450 for them. The ones I looked at were pretty nice.

Back