Retrofit new style hammer to older SIG P220?

PzKpfw

Inactive
Hello all - I was wondering if it is possible to retrofit the new rounded style hammer to an older (1988 costruction) SIG P220 .45 ACP? As many of you can probably attest to, the older style spur hammer has a nasty way of chewing through clothing when carrying concealed. If the retrofit is possible, is it a matter of simply switching hammers, or does it require more elaborate gunsmithing? Any input is greatly appreciated.

The new style hammer was part of a design change for whole trigger assembly. The new design allows for DAO with the removal of the "Bobbit Lever" ;), aka the decocker, and the substitution of a hammer not having the SA sear notch. I don't believe the new style hammer will drop in, but check with a SIG certified armorer to be sure.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

~David~

May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

I too have the old style P220 and was thinking of doing the same thing.

Please post what you learn as I would like to do if you don't have to return to Sig for the update.

Maybe this little conversion won't be as easy as I thought. Once I track down a SIG certified gunsmith near me, I suppose I'll find out what I need to know.
Needless to say, once I find out what exactly needs to be done, you folks at TFL will be the next to know!
Of course, if a SIG armorer here at TFL would like to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

All the best!

Can't say about the 220, but I was able to get the parts and restore a 226 from a DAO back to a SA/DA with the decocker.
They balked a little but sent the parts.
Make sure you do all the functional saftey tests if you do it yourself. AGI has a real good SIG armorers video.

I'll start off by saying I don't know for sure the answer to your question, although I PRESUME the new style hammer would be a drop in proposition. Sig also recommends that the hammer and sear be replaced as a set. A call to the Sig service department would/should answer your question. They're at 603/772-2302.

Back