Retro-mod 10/22

TINCANBANDIT

Here is a retro-10/22 I built. I has a vintage walnut Finger Groove Sporter stock, a steel receiver (from Kingston Armory), new take-off barrel and new anodized aluminum trigger housing (from Pike Arms). The steel parts were given a 5000 grit polished finish and blued in hot salts.

0Kb6Ckcl.jpg

plnV3cAl.jpg

JGbYCJHl.jpg

GFGI3N6l.jpg

W2GMPkcl.jpg

6e1vTbMl.jpg

blog posts of the build

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-1022-finger-groove-sporter-project.html

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-1022-finger-groove-sporter-project_21.html

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-1022-finger-groove-sporter-project_25.html

Speaks for itself

TinCan,
Before reading your info I could see that the stock is one of the early models. I use to have a Finger-Grooved Canadian and you hardly see these anymore, in my neck of the woods. How is the rigger and what kind of internal work have you done? Great job and I do appreciate your post. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

I had to give away my original International 10/22. Had a ongoing thing with my SIL. If she had a boy I had to give her the 10/22. After 3 girls the law of averages caught up with me and had to give her the rifle. I think I paid $56 for it new in late 60s.

The "tiger striping" in the bluing is a reflection of the corrugated Lexan roofing on my deck.

I am pleased that I could inspire others

I did contact Turnbull about color case hardening, they were not interested in the project, due to the unknown make up of the steel

Last edited:
I did something like that first folder on your blog post of 3/28, but I put a TS fluted bull barrel on a standard carbine Ruger receiver, Ruger BX trigger, and placed it in a Butler Creek folding stock. Had to sand out the stock to free-float the bull barrel, but it stayed stiff and solid. See picture attached.

I've since dropped the cheap red dot and put a 2.5X7 scope on it.

Attachments

• Ruger 10-22 threaded barrel folding stock right  folded.jpg
    Ruger 10-22 threaded barrel folding stock right folded.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 57
Always loved the International

My buddy has a 1960's International. He would not sell it to me.

A few years back Ruger did a special distributor run of International 10/22's

I bought one for my wife, she insisted on a 3-9 scope on that very trim little carbine.

Oh well. happy wife, happy life.

That’s a work of art.

There is this question in philosophy called “the ship of Theseus”. It goes like this:

Suppose Theseus gives his ship to his buddy Simplicus. Simplicus gets caught in a storm and wrecks the boat. How many parts can Simplicus trade for working parts before the repaired ship is really no longer “Theseus’ old boat?”

If the boat repair store fixes a lot of Simplicus’ broken parts and builds a ship from them, how many parts do they need before they are the owner of Theseus’ old boat?

If parts are swapped, is it possible for two boats to be Theseus’ old boat? Three? More?

I think your rifle looks amazing and I’m jealous. My little project is to take a new $200 10/22 from Dick’s (partly because Dicks is gonna stop selling guns so it amuses me) and try to see how good I can get it shooting with stock Ruger parts.

You’ve inspired me. I do cry “foul” on your receiver because it’s so much nicer than my cast aluminum that it’s not even a contest. You win!

If you're going to pay full price ($200) for a new 10/22, please DON'T give Dick's the business or money for it....buy it from somewhere that is continuing to support gun owners and sell guns.

Now if they mark them down to $100 and are likely to make little or no profit, have at it!

Moving on

If you're going to pay full price ($200) for a new 10/22, please DON'T give Dick's the business or money for it....buy it from somewhere that is continuing to support gun owners and sell guns

By now, we have all got the message and time to move on …… ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back