results on my new model 70!!!

kilotanker22

As some may know a few weeks ago I posted a thread about selling my 300 win and buying a model 70 manufactured by fnh. Well picked it up today and I am impressed. Half moa accuracy with hornady superformance ammunition. The caliber is 270 with a 130 grain sst first three rounds chronoed 3190 3198 and 3185 for an average of 3191. At 100 the group was for three rounds. 58 inches but at 300 my group opened up to about 4 inches. I think the gun is capable of better but at 300 was probably my squeeze. Elevation at 300 was good but the most difference was windage ( due to my squeeze most likely).

So long story short +1 for fnh model 70 Winchester. Will definaty by another.

I've had mine (30-06 Ultimate Shadow) for almost 2 years now...and have tweaked it a bit...adjusted the trigger, fine tuned loads, Viper HS scope, and it will have a McMillan stock whenever it gets here (ordered it back in July)...

The new Winchesters are great right out of the box....and can be even better with a little TLC.

With my reloads....mine has done 300 yard groups of 1.25", and at 100 yards....well, heres the pics.

Berger 175 grain VLD's at 2,775 fps
photobucket-3154-1349794648260.jpg

Nosler 168 grain Ballistic Tips at 2,850 fps
photobucket-8378-1349796767708.jpg

And just to show the difference ammo can make...those 3 pieces of duct tape you see in those pics, thats a 3 round group of factory Remington 165 grain ammo.

I'm a Winchester M-70 fan, I have several and I'll agree, I think the FN Model 70s are the best of the lot right out of the box.

Mine also is a 270 Win but a Featherweight Limited Edition. Probably the best hunting rifle I have (well on par with my Featherweight in 257 Roberts).

Now having said that, I think the ammo the OP mentions has a lot to do with it. I've found, in my rifles the Hornady SST's to be some of the most accurate bullets I've found........even for long range target shooting.

I've read reports of the SSTs shedding their jackets on heavier game, don't know, it hasn't happened to me. But, at least in the 150 grn 277 bullets, the Hornady Interbond is the exact same bullet but holds together.

I found they shoot the same place, at the same velocity as the 150 grn SSTs.

The Interbonds are more expensive so I use them for hunting and stick with the SSTs for practice and target shooting.

I wouldn't worry too much about a 4" group first time out of the box, you'll kill any deer, elk, or anyother animal you want to if you are hitting within 2" of poa of center of the kill zone. I've been dying to get my hands on an older model 70 FWT SS, but I'll guess I'll have to settle for my .30-06 that is at the GS right now. However the new EW in .270 does look pretty sweet.

I like the new M70's very much but hate that they are using the new MOA trigger. I love the old trigger for it's ruggedness and simplicity, wish Winchester would have stuck with it. I haven't heard of any problems with the new trigger, but to turn your back on a proven design after decades of production seems kind of odd. I can't imagine the new trigger saving production costs.

moa trigger

Not sure about cost of production. But I adjusted the trigger on my model 70 Winchester this morning and it is very easy to adjust and breaks clean. Don't know about the old trigger but the moa trigger is very good for a production trigger. Far better than the x-mark pro trigger IMHO.

Also the rifle seems to have a very tight chamber. The factory hornady rounds mention earlier in this thread fit very snug in the chamber. Much tighter than any other factory chamber I have seen. This model 70 Winchester by fnh is a superb display of quality and value. You will pay more for it than say a savage 111 with a synthetic stock but IMHO is well worth its cost and then some.

This is my three hundred yard target. Must have left my hundred yard target on the bench at the range after measuring the group it is a little over two inches. I thought it was more like four. If I find my 100 yard target will post pics later.

Attachments

• IMG_20121025_164448.jpg
    IMG_20121025_164448.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 45
Here is my 100 yard target lost the first one so went and shot some more today.

Attachments

• IMG_20121025_191825.jpg
    IMG_20121025_191825.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 35
It's likely that the 300 yard target group was dispersed by wind. Even if you don't feel it at the bench, it doesn't take much wind downrange to open groups.

You might try using some home-made wind flags and only shoot when the flags are about the same condition for each shot. Unless Never try to shoot test groups, or sight-in for long-distance shooting, when the wind is over 5 mph from the side, unless you're very good at using flags.

It doesn't take much work to make wind flags. A wire coathanger, some survey tape and a broomstick with a hole drilled in the end will work in soft ground. There are lots of examples of how to make wind flags on the 'net. Skip the fancy ones unless you're really dedicated.

I like the new M70's very much but hate that they are using the new MOA trigger. I love the old trigger for it's ruggedness and simplicity, wish Winchester would have stuck with it. I haven't heard of any problems with the new trigger, but to turn your back on a proven design after decades of production seems kind of odd. I can't imagine the new trigger saving production costs.

I'm with U on this one taylorce....

I also was puzzled that they decided to design a new trigger system. Maybe it was because it was so easy to make the classic trigger dangerous? I have set all of my M70s to 3lbs. and each of them could be adjusted to ounces but obviously they would not pass the bump test.

I don't have a problem with the MOA triggers...they are much easier to make "right" than the originals.

I guess, in all fairness, one would have to say they are both good triggers...because I cannot even make myself complain just because they are enclosed...it seems all current rifle triggers are enclosed.

The 2 new factory triggers I'm familiar with are the X-Mark (Rem) and the MOA (Win)...the MOA trigger is the better of the 2 by quite a margin.

Maybe it was because it was so easy to make the classic trigger dangerous?

Actually...I have not heard of there being a problem with the classic trigger....Unlike Remingtons 700....

Theres no problems with the classic trigger, its my favorite design. Bubba can take a wrench and take all the pressure off the sear to get a 'hair trigr' with no impediment.

i also have a new model 70 sporter in 270 win. beautiful gun. i hear from carters country that it is the last US production. I wish it wasnt so...

Back