Results on my first reloads

Carl G

My first reloads were .45 Colt which I tested in a SAA revolver and 45/70 which was shot from a Pedersoli Sharps with the 32" barrel.
The .45's worked out well. Velocity averaged about 800fps and were slightly more accurate than several different factory cartridges I was using at 25 yards.
The 45/70's not so great. I tested at 50 yards. The factory Fort Scott ammo I've been shooting gave me a ragged 1 1/2" hole, averaged 1690fps and a decent recoil. 300 grain copper bullet. My reloads averaged 1330fps, 3" group and WAY more recoil. I was using 37 grains of Accurate 2015 and 405 grain Missouri Hi Tek bullets. Some of the more commonly recommended powders I couldn't find and not much choice in bullets either in 45/70. For plinking it is not terrible but I had hoped to equal factory loads and the added recoil was a big surprise.
Any ideas on which direction to go? As bad as the recoil is with 37 grains of that powder I don't want to increase it. Maybe a slower burning powder but I'd have to research what that might be?

Sounds like you are there with the 45 colts.

The 45/70 is high recoil mostly due to the added 100gr of bullet. Hornady has a 300gr you might try.

Your velocities seem reasonable. In fact, your 405 load is pretty close to the original Trapdoor blackpowder 45-70-405 load. Is this gun new? If so, you might simply need to put a few more rounds through it. I shoot a Uberti copy of a Winchester 1885 and an original Trapdoor. Still working on loads, but my 1885 seems to shoot most anything pretty well. Trapdoor likes 405s best, although it's a later model that would have been run with the 500s.

I'd say, welcome to the sometimes frustrating world of getting a group from your loads. Keep trying different powder charges and bullets.

And yes, those old stocks were not designed for the comfort of the shooter.

My first reloads were .45 Colt which I tested in a SAA revolver and 45/70 which was shot from a Pedersoli Sharps with the 32" barrel.
The .45's worked out well. Velocity averaged about 800fps and were slightly more accurate than several different factory cartridges I was using at 25 yards.
The 45/70's not so great. I tested at 50 yards. The factory Fort Scott ammo I've been shooting gave me a ragged 1 1/2" hole, averaged 1690fps and a decent recoil. 300 grain copper bullet. My reloads averaged 1330fps, 3" group and WAY more recoil. I was using 37 grains of Accurate 2015 and 405 grain Missouri Hi Tek bullets. Some of the more commonly recommended powders I couldn't find and not much choice in bullets either in 45/70. For plinking it is not terrible but I had hoped to equal factory loads and the added recoil was a big surprise.
Any ideas on which direction to go? As bad as the recoil is with 37 grains of that powder I don't want to increase it. Maybe a slower burning powder but I'd have to research what that might be?
So your first time reloading and you ignore the most basic rule in hand loading. You just pick a load and shoot it? You need to start over and begin with a starting load and work your way up without exceeding a maximum load. All this from published well known sources. A huge part of the handloading process is following safety procedures, it’s not only for your sake but also anyone standing near you who may be injured by an exploding gun. You also need to study how to interpret pressure signs as a safeguard even within published parameters. If I’ve misinterpreted your post please forgive my comments.

The 37 grains was only 1 grain above the starting load in the Lyman 51st edition reloading handbook for 405 g bullets using 2015 powder. I used that because the Lee 2.8cc dipper would consistently scoop that amount with no or very little trickling needed when weighed out. I chose 405 grain hi tek coated bullets because that is what I could find. I hate leading so I like to shoot plated or coated bullets.
For the .45colt I loaded up a starting load and a load midway between starting and max. The midway load worked out very well.
I appreciate any words of caution. I have no experience in reloading but have spent many hours doing research. Being a black powder shooter I do understand playing with variables to arrive at a good load for a given gun.

If you are not casting/sizing/lubing your own, try Buffalo Arms in Idaho for bullets. With proper lube, I don't think leading will be a problem for you. I have begun working with paper patched bullets, but that's yet another thing to buy. If you shoot holy black, is it only in muzzleloaders, or have you tried some in your Sharps? I only run black or a substitute in the Trapdoor, and I am heading that way for the 1885. Those modern "metal patch" 300 and 350 grain bullets work great, but in antique or replica arms, I vote for the old ways.

If you are not casting/sizing/lubing your own, try Buffalo Arms in Idaho for bullets. With proper lube, I don't think leading will be a problem for you. I have begun working with paper patched bullets, but that's yet another thing to buy. If you shoot holy black, is it only in muzzleloaders, or have you tried some in your Sharps? I only run black or a substitute in the Trapdoor, and I am heading that way for the 1885. Those modern "metal patch" 300 and 350 grain bullets work great, but in antique or replica arms, I vote for the old ways.
I have not tried BP in the sharps. I have two Hawkens and 4 BP revolvers which I shoot very often. I sort of wanted a gun that would not take a whole lot of prep before and after to shoot. Yes, paper patching and sizing bullets for it is a whole different world. I've been spoiled by shooting smokeless loads in the sharps with the accuracy I'm getting using either the Leverlution FTX 325 grain bullets by Hornady and the Ft. Scott 300 g solid copper cartridges. But expensive to shoot, hence the desire to get into reloading although at my age I'm not sure I will be able to shoot enough reloads to recoup the investment. But is seems to be fun-a good rainy day activity.

I believe one of the 4198 powders is what you want or 4227 and some good cast lead bullets around 405 grains and maybe 1200 to 1400fps.
When I had a 45-70, I used 4198 under 405gr cast to about 1500. It was extremely accurate; however, too much recoil for my repaired cervical spine. I got a 450 Bushmaster, which is very comfortable throwing 250s at 2200.

Accurate powders had a few that were good for 45-70 moderate loads but I don't have my manual today and memory is not good enough.

Paul Matthews has written s few books about getting accuracy out of a 45-70

SPG Bullet Lube had a pamphlet explaining the importance of proper bullet lube if you try black powder.

Mike Venturino wrote a good book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles"

If you do decide to yield to black powder, fill a gallon jug half full of Simple Green solution. At the range, drop your fired brass in it. Get some test tube brushes for scrubbing. BP fouling will quickly ruin your brass if you don't clean it. Rinse well and spread on a towel.

Back