Restrictions applied not just for "crime"?

Third_Rail

What if the current 1934/1986 restrictions were put in place to not stop criminals getting FA, but rather to keep people in the US from coming up with better systems? I mean, I've designed a few rather interesting FA systems/actions, but I can't hash them out completely on my computer or ever make them, since they'd be illegal.

Another thought is that perhaps not only have we been failed in the case of crime vanishing by restricting FA, but we've been fail in the case of getting new in country developments in FA and "DD"s.

Just idle thinking.

You are not the first one to say that. John Ross makes that case in his book 'Unintended Consequences'.

But doesn't this belong in L+P anyway?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that that is totally ridiculous. :barf:

So where can I pick up a permit to legally think?

Well, you'd need a class 2 manufacturer's permit, which IIRC is $3500 a year, plus you must be selling items to qualify, otherwise it's not legal.

Great country.

I've considered this as well, but it's a moot point most of the time for me - most of the time when I come up with a good design, I find that Eugene Stoner holds a patent for something very similar... :D

My beef was with the restrictions on large-capacity magazine design and now that's been lifted! It would be nice to be able to apply for an "inventor's exemption" or something similar, however...

There seems to be some bad info, here. The license to build anything NFA is $150 for three years, plus a $500 a year special occupation tax.

There is something of a catch-22 in that you have to be engaged in it as a business practice, but inventing for future sale seems to satisfy that.

As this is a bit up my alley, I'm waiting for a call from compliance to refine the business part.

So wait a minute here, are you implying that it's illegal to even design a full-auto weapon?!?!?!

Oh nos! I am a felon! :)

I don't see how the government can stop people from thinking. That is absurd.

I've designed a few MGs. Just waiting for that sweet, sweet C2 so I can build them.

Holly cats butt

1. You can design anything you want...no license.
2. You can't BUILD it without a license.
3. 1934 NFA was about criminals and machine guns...but all the other cool stuff got lumped in also.
4. 1986 was about limiting innovation and actually boosting domestic sales.
5. My FFL and Sot are as follows. $150 for my 07 FFL (3 years x $50), $500 for a reduced (under 1/2 mil revenue) SOT payment. It's no where NEAR $3500....
I pay full price for the SOT and that's only $1000.

Back