Restoring a mossy

DryFire45

Inactive
I believe this is the right place for this question if not mods please move to the correct section. Ok so I picked up an older Mossberg 500AG for a good price and although its in fairly good shape it is obvious it has been serving its purpose a lot. The blueing on the magazine tube has mostly worn off and there is some minor surface rust. The inside of the barrel is in good shape and the furniture has a little character but I dont mind that. The receiver has a few nicks and scratches but not too bad. Im wanting to restore this work horse to its former glory but I have never done it. What is a good route to go that isnt overly expensive that I can do myself? I want to make it look as good as possible under the criteria I previously mentioned. Tips, tricks, techniques and advice would be awesome. Thanks guys.
e27e0bcdb0d99c484f8a61393f0ace1b.jpg
4dc9d18735e5270c38fa6dfcfd5051fb.jpg
5d9a18cbc85846663d2fc72a5cc29d5c.jpg

The Mossberg receiver is anodized aluminum-noy something easy to touch up or refinish properly. It's best left alone. It's not in bad shape at all.
The barrel looks fine.
You might remove the mag tube and rust blue it.
That looks like all it needs

Bill is correct. The only way to refinish aluminum is either anodizing, as the factory did, or some type of paint.

The magazine tube could be blued, but most of the wear looks to me to be from carrying the gun, as that is where the hand would hold it, and maybe some wear at the front bottom of the receiver over it. The barrel looks to be in pretty good shape. You have to way the cost of refinishing to the worth of the gun.

Thanks guys. Only part of it I was really concerned with was the magazine tube. It needs to come off anyway because I think it needs a new spring and follower. The last shell doesnt kick out all the way. So a new spring and blue the tube and I think ill be happy with it.

For the price, Mossberg came up with a decent gun. Especially the locking system, as it is similar to those used on more expensive guns.

To polish the bolt, you can use some 400 grit sandpaper. Just follow the polishing lines already there, and it will brighten up, along with the carrier. Just oil after, and you'll have it. Another trick, if the two pieces are not scratched up, is a dunk in CLR toilet cleaner, which will remove any light discoloration from rust, etc. Rinse with water, dry, and oil. Only place steel parts in this, though. Aluminum, magnesium, etc, will quickly go bye-bye, along with bluing. CLR is an acid.

The steel mag tube should respond well to fine oil soaked steel wool and rebluing with one of the cold blue products.
If the wood needs some attention, just lightly sand and refinish with stain.
Otherwise, it all looks pretty good.
If you are motivated to redo the receiver, there are some very good products for aluminum wheels at the local auto parts store.

In regards to the receiver, doesn't someone (birchwood casey?) make an alumablack touch up pen? I've never used it but it seems like it could be a good option if Dryfire wanted to touch up the scratches on the receiver. Just my 2 cents, but otherwise it is a pretty good looking gun still. Reminds me of my old 20ga 500 I've had since I was a kid. Been in love with these "cheap" but reliable guns ever since. Good luck with it Dryfire. I'll keep an eye out for progress.

The problem with Casey's Aluminum Black, is that its color will not match the anodizing, and it wears off rather easily. It can also damage the anodizing that is still there, and make it look worse, when it does wear off.

Anodizing is a process of plating, that leaves behind a honeycomb looking form of aluminum oxide on the part, which can then be dyed with a black dye. The dye seeps into the porous honeycombed cells. It is then sealed with a sealer. Gun companies use different dye formulas, some jet black, and some with a bit of blue added to the black. It is hard to match.

Those alloy touch up pens are, IMHO, no better than a magic marker; OK for a quick touchup, but easily rubbed off and in no way permanent. If something has to be done to an alloy receiver, one of the new paints will work OK.

Jim

Hmm...I didn't realize that about the touch up black, or the anodizing process. That's some great info though, thanks for sharing.

Back