Restoring a mosin nagant.

Peptobismol9

I want to make a 91/30 look like it did when it came out of production all those years ago, but how would I know what that looks like? Any suggestions on what to do before I potentially ruin a peice of history? Im really afraid to just go on with my plans of sanding this thing and bathing it in laminate. I can see where I can screw this up.

Let me start off by saying that you will decrease its value significantly to a collector by permanatly altering your rifle.

With that said, i would suggest using rubbing alcohol and removing the shellac on the rifle, then use a damp rag and an iron to hopefully remove dents, i strongly recommend that you do NOT sand it. Then buy some shellac and sloppily apply it with a brush, then hastily assemble the rifle and cover it in grease.

The russians were not perticualarly worried what the rifle looked like, they were more worried about getting a rifle to a soldier that despritly needed it. they are not show rifles, they are battle rifles.

They're great rifles, but can be had for $80 so I wouldn't sweat it too much if your restoration isn't 100% accurate.

Besides, given the length of time over which the Mosin was produced and the changing circumstances under which it was produced, they definitely weren't all made exactly alike in terms of finish and so forth anyways.

Pick on a M44 for your project .........:cool:

......... I don't like them as much as the 91/30's and the M38's .........:p

And I'd say other than the dents .............. you're looking at the original article.

Three 44s

Back