Restoring a 1911

mapsjanhere

A friend has a 1911 that was issued to his father in law. It's a 1917 gun, in rather sad shape after two wars and long-time service. As a family heirloom he wants it professionally restored to as new condition to pass on to future generations. Can anyone recommend a top grade facility for this kind of work?

Whomever you chose, be sure to keep all the replaced parts, whatever they are. They will be needed if you ever want to return it to it's current condition, or as close to it as you can.

Others may tell you not to change it, it's an historical piece, but it's yours and you can do what you like with it. I've always felt if you keep within the parameters of the issued piece, nothing is amiss.

Thanks, the name Turnbull had come up.
As for the "originality" aspect, it's more of a "make it attractive to future non-gun loving generations" thing. As collectors we're well aware of "keep it original". But if you try to get some non-gun people to keep it in the family until that genetic flaw has bred out, good looks might help.

With Bill Adair and Steve Moeller gone, it seems Turnbull is the only recommended shop.

If, after two wars, this gun has been arsenal refurbished, there are other shops that can do a workmanlike job of Parkerizing for a lot less money.

But if it is all original, even if in "sad shape," then Turnbull is the best bet.
It will be expensive, though.

Pictures would help.

The odds are if those members of the future generation aren't gun folks, it's going to get sold off right quick.
And it might be worth more as is, as long as those relatives are aware.
So maybe just put the old war horse in a nice box with documentation and advice of how to get the most for it.
Just a thought

So maybe just put the old war horse in a nice box with documentation and advice of how to get the most for it.
Consider that too.
And to know what you really got,have it appraised by a professional.

Old song, but some good pictures might help us to figure out if restoration would do more harm than good. Few soldiers who went through combat look the same as they did when they went in the service, and the same is true of their weapons. The scars and marks of honorable service should not be removed or covered up, even if they can be.

Also note that while Turnbull does a fine job, probably the best available, few of his restorations will pass for original, at least with me, so anyone hoping to claim that a restored gun is original will probably be disappointed unless the buyer has little knowledge or experience.

Jim

As the "battle scars" consist mainly of being wrapped in a rag and gotten wet in the back of a cabinet after the FIL passed away there's really not much to preserve on the gun. As the owner has a half dozen top grade 1911s of all ages to compare to I'm pretty sure he're aware of the value of a 0 finish light pitting gun with WWII era small parts. And as he's gotten at least one gun refinished by Bill Adair I'm pretty sure he's aware of the price tag.

A Bill Adair job is not preparation for the sticker shock of a Turnbull restoration.

A coworker of mine showed me the estimate for having Turnbull restore his circa 1918 Colt 1911 this morning

Total cost is going to be $1775.00.

That includes re-striking all markings and replacing the grips to be period correct.

Turn around time was quoted as "around 8 months".

I don't consider that to be too bad for a Turnbull restoration.

That is on the low end of Turnbull jobs I have seen.
There are a lot of shabby guns out there worth that much work.

Mr Moeller's base charge was $1350 but subject to "options and accessories."

Several years ago, I thought firearms restoration was getting respectable, but the process has slowed down. A lot of stuff on the gunboards takes me back to the days of the classifieds in American Rifleman and Shotgun News, things like "5% original blue in protected locations."

Not stopped, though, there are people wanting guns to look good even though not "original".

Unless it is desired to restore a specific gun (a family heirloom for example), it may be less costly to leave a worn or damaged gun as is and simply buy one in better condition.

Jim

Maybe the gun market is getting similar to the classic car market.
Survivors in original condition can be worth more than a fully restored one, warts and all.

No "getting" that is the way it has always been, with a few exceptions.
I remember when a DelGrego Parker was a legitimate gun.
And the Garand collectors have been swapping parts on refurbished guns to come up with "correct" rifles with all parts of the same make and period.
But those are the exceptions.
I think restored guns are gradually getting more respectable as the nice originals retreat into collections, only being seen - at very high prices - upon death or divorce.
But you have to be careful, there is so much overgraded advertising, misrepresentation, and outright fakery that I would not get into collecting.

The "original even if ugly" is a very American phenomenon. Germans pay well for professional restorations from the auction results I've seen, and we don't want to talk about the crimes the French commit on some guns, high polish, and screw those markings.

A friend has a 1911 that was issued to his father in law. It's a 1917 gun, in rather sad shape after two wars and long-time service. As a family heirloom he wants it professionally restored to as new condition to pass on to future generations.

The owner wants it restored, keeping in existing condition isn't what he wants. Even though it may reduce the market value of the gun, SO WHAT???

Yes, collectors want, and pay for the highest degree of original finish left, and a worn damaged gun with provenance can be worth more than a pristine gun without.

If you were to have that for the gun, BEYOND what unit, when and where your father in law had it issued to him, that would increase the "as is" value hugely. If you had proof what units the gun had passed through during those two wars, up to when your Father in law got it, it would absolutely be a foolish thing to do to have it refinished in any way.

Guns with that level of provable history are ultra rare, and should be preserved as is, in my opinion. That being said, if you only know (and can prove) the history of the gun after it was issued to your FIL, then a professional restoration of a WW I 1911 in "sad shape" makes sense to me.

Turnbull is the only one I know of, and as others have mentions, its not cheap. I have seen a couple of their guns, they do excellent work.

But they are human, too. A friend of mine has a Turnbull 1911, one of the reproduction WW I guns that they sell. He paid a pretty penny for it (check their web site for the price) he got it year before last. Then he sent it right back.

Because it wasn't what he ordered, in fact, it wasn't "complete". The gun he ordered was supposed to be an exact reproduction, including all the period correct markings (and Turnbull's logo, so it couldn't be passed off as original).

The gun arrived looking PERFECT, except the period correct markings weren't there. To say the least, he was a bit put out. Called them, sent the gun back the next day. It came back in a week (almost to the day) looking PERFECT, with a sincere apology. All shipping on Turnbull's dime.

BUT, that not the end of the story. It wasn't a total safe queen, my friend took it to the range a couple times, over the next 6 months. Both times, he fired 2 mags of ball, (flawless function, good accuracy) went home, cleaned it, and then put it away.

I was visiting him, and he showed me the gun. Beautiful piece, but something seemed wrong, to me. I thought it had the wrong ejector in it. My friend was a bit skeptical, but since I have been familiar with 1911 variations since the early 70s and was a Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B20) in the Army, we did a little testing.

The gun had functioned flawlessly, when fired. Every time he had fired it, he did the same thing, fired the mag empty, reloaded, then fired the second mag empty. Worked perfectly.

Chambered an A Zoom Snap Cap (same size as ball ammo). Ejected it, worked perfectly. Chambered a JHP round, ejected it. Worked perfectly.

Chambered an actual round of GI 230gr ball ammo. Tried to eject it, gun jammed. Jammed HARD. Bullet nose hard against the inside of the slide just below the ejection port, held fast by the slide, extractor and ejector.

Had to drop the mag, hold the slide against its spring tension and PRY the live round out. Repeated things a few times, with exactly the same results. Live rounds shorter than GI ball ejected ok. Snap cap same size as GI ball ejected ok. Figured the snap cap ejected because it was so light it came out just enough faster, and/or at a slightly different angle to avoid jamming.

that was Sunday. Monday he called Turnbull, and the response to his description of the problem was, basically, "WHAT????????????????, send it in right now!" Due to his work schedule he didn't ship the gun until Thursday, and it came back the following Thursday. Friend talked to Turnbull (I think he said he talked to a VP), and was told "We're very sorry, that gun never should have gotten out of the shop that way. Someone is not going to have a Merry Christmas."

I looked at the gun again that weekend, it had the right style ejector in it, and it ejected 230gr FMJ ammo flawlessly. Again, the shipping was paid for by Turnbull, both ways.

The fact that the mistakes were made bothered me a bit, for that kind of money, those things should not happen. The fact that Turnbull didn't argue, paid all shipping and fixed things fast was impressive. I doubt whoever signed off on that gun that first time is still doing that for Turnbull.;)

My friend also has a Turnbull restored 86 Winchester. I think it looks better than what Winchester originally sent out. Absolutely beautiful work.

My point is, that from what I have personally seen, they do great work, and if something isn't right, they fix it as fast as humanly possible, once they find out about it.

If I had an valuable old gun I wanted restored to look like new, I would send it to them, along with a good chunk of my disposable income. :D

I've been by Turnbull's tables at the Wanamacher show in Tulsa. I was impressed by his Winchesters, Marlins, etc but I don't know enough about those to know what a good/original one looks like.

His 1911 restorations I've seen don't look like original issue though that's been a few years ago. Look much too dark and too highly polished for a military 1911 pistol. Your friend might take a look at a few original finish pistols vs a recent Turnbull restoration and see what he thinks.

I'm going to guess if it sat in a wet rag there's significant metal damage. I don't think the ~2k price you see includes serious repairs like filling pits and draw filing back flat.

Considering the amount of money involved it might be worth a trip to Tulsa. The next Wanamacher show is the 2nd and 3rd of April, I believe. I'd contact him first to make sure he's going to attend.

Back