restoring 1903a3

rbf420

i inheritated a 1903a3 from my uncle, except it had been sporterized... i wish to restore it to original condition, however both the front and rear sight have been removed and i need to get new ones most preferably original ones anyone know where i could pick some up?

Keep looking on e-bay,usually pages of parts show up there.And if all else fails give Numrich Gun Parts a try.I was given a 1917 Winchester Enfield that luckily they hadnt touched the barrel or sights.Over about 6 months of picking up pieces here and there i have a all correctly marked 1917 now.

I say keep it the way it is, the way your uncle wanted it.

That's what I'd do too. There's no shame in owning a sporterized milsurp, especially if it was done when that was common practice. Kind of like having a duffel-cut Arisaka stock. It's just part of the gun's history.

It's not his uncle's anymore. Why should that be a consideration if he wants something different?

My Father bought two 1903A3s from the Gov't in the early 1950s.

He had one completely built into a very nice sporter.

The other one, the one I hunted with as a kid, he sporterized by cutting the stock back to lighten it.

I'm now looking for a replacement stock to return it to original military configuration.

It might be what my Father wanted in 1955, but it's not what I want in 2010. I seriously doubt if either my Dad or RBF's uncle are going to start a protracted campaign of haunting against us simply because we returned their rifles to military configuration.

Lots of Other Fish in the Sea

rbf,

There are a lot of 03 A3s out there for a reasonable prices. It would probably not be worth the expense to return yours to its origianal condition.

^
^ I would say that depends on what was needed to return his to original condition. If it's just sights, that would be a pretty cheap conversion.

I restored a semi-sportered 1917, it had the stock cut down, the ears on the front sight ground off, and a speed lock installed. I replaced the parts that were altered, found a good stock (actually a brand new old GI replacement stock) and had a nearly new 1917 for less than well worn ones go for.

Too bad I need to let the 1917 go,.....

Mike, you have a PM.

I would try and put it back to original condition. I personally thing that it looks kinda dumb if it isn't. Its like those people who take very nice classic cars and make them into a hot rod and put flames on the side, it just kills it.

the rifleer said:
I would try and put it back to original condition. I personally thing that it looks kinda dumb if it isn't. Its like those people who take very nice classic cars and make them into a hot rod and put flames on the side, it just kills it.

Naturally everybody has their own likes and dislikes, but I think that it's also important to put things like this into historical context (assuming that part of the reason that we collect these old rifles is because of their history).

A lot of very respectable sporters were made from military actions, including 03's. Obviously quality ranged from "what were you thinking" to some real works of art. People didn't just turn them into hunting guns because they were cheap - they did it because they were cheap and because they were extremely accurate and durable guns.

Back in the day, an accurate, durable commercial hunting rifle was very expensive. But a surplus military bolt action rifle could be had for a reasonable amount of money. A guy who was handy with a saw and a rasp could make a decent stock out of the military one. A guy who had a few more dollars could buy a nicely made sporter stock and completely ditch the military furniture. Add a scope and for a fraction of a Weatherby, Savage or Winchester, there would be plenty of meat for the winter.

I've got examples of both rifles: a really nice 1903 MkI that my great uncle sporterized with a beautifully checkered walnut stock, and an equally nice 1903A3 from CMP in its Army furniture. Both of them represent great examples of a 1903 rifle from two different periods of time. Obviously I wouldn't dream of sporterizing the A3, but likewise, I'm not going to restore the Mk I - not because it was my great uncle's (and my dad's), but because it is as historically relevant as the A3 is.

However, like I said at the top, everybody has his own likes and dislikes and Mike probably put it as succinctly as anybody could.

Back