Restore or not?

2shots

Need some help before I find myself in one of those money-losing projects(again). Came upon a 1930 Win. Model 12 Standard Trap gun. Bluing is flaking most on left side of receiver, straight stock absolutely must be refinished and a pad (period?) installed. Barrel, too, has some minor pitting. Don't know what a 12-gauge trap gun is worth, so would you restore or dump it? And, the arm that pulls and pushes the bolt no longer works (maybe just too much crud).

At a gun show, and I go every month, guns are worth less tha more that has been done to them.

So, you loose money and get critisized if you do anything, so you had better enjoy it.

When I die, my kids can cry over the guns I cold blued.
They look better to me!

2shots, it just depends on what your intentions are with the gun. If this is one you bought to keep and use then by all means restore it. If you bought it with the idea of restoring it and selling then be careful how much you put into it because it won't be worth the blue book value after you've done the work. The work would put it in the "Good" or 60%-80% value range. George

Keep telling myself, over and over...

A shooter needs to be brought up to standards and SHOT !

A 'closet-keeper'? Buy as nice as you can afford in original
condition and hide it ! These are my rules of thumb and I need to keep telling myself over and over and....dewey

I think Dewey, George, and Clark are right. If it's a shooter, fix it to suit. If it's a collector, the less done the better. HTH

Back