Restock question for remington 700

homesick

I have a very early model 700 Rem 7MM mag I am guessing its the 1st year production as it has a stainless steel barrel on it. My question is I want to restock it with some kind of composite stock. Does any one know if the measurements are the same from back then to present day rifles? To follow that up who makes the best replacement stock one can get today.

If it has a stainless barrel, then it is not the 1st year of production. Stainless barrels weren't offered until well after the production run started.

I would call remington first. What would matter is long or short action & barrel conture. I changed stocks with a HS Percision and was very pleased.

Actually the early barrels were stainless with a black finish. How much do you want to spend? I'd go McMillan Edge www.mcmfamily.com. You get a very lightweight rigid stock weighing around 22 oz. and built to your specs for about $520. If you don't want to spend that much HS-Precision and the Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks are good and priced between $230-$350. But they are thick and clunky, plus you have no options as to how it is built. They will also weigh about 2X as much as the McMillan. A good bit heavier than the factory stock.

Other good options are Brown Precision, High-Tech, and MPI. I've never used MPI, but have rifles in all the others mentioned. All are good and have their good and bad points. I'd not go with B&C again on a hunting rifle. Just too darn heavy and clunky for my taste. McMillan is a little more expensive than Brown Precision or MPI, but their stocks tend to be right the first time. Take them out of the box completely finished and just needing to bolt to your gun. If you are handy with tools the High-Tech will sell you a quality unfinished blank for $252. You need to cut it to your LOP, add a recoil pad, and paint. Mine finished up at 22 oz. Same as the McMillan for 1/2 the money. Of course I did have to do some of the work.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-33/medalist-aluminum-bedding-block/Detail

http://www.hightech-specialties.com/stocks.html

http://mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2d#rhuntersedge

http://www.mpistocks.com/

Just got off the phone with Remington customer service this guy was very helpful. Remington did make their 1st 700 7MM mags with stainless steel barrels which were painted / or dipped. They made the 7MM mag from 1962 till 1970 with stainless steel. The stainless steel was discontinued in 1970. The rifle is the same as it was when it 1st came out.
Thanks for all your responses to my question.

FYI, there's a lighter weight B&C Medalist Sporter model available now (25-30oz) instead of the 36oz+ standard A1 Medalist. They call them "Alaskan Wilderness/Mountain Rifle" models depending on action length and barrel taper. They still have the full bedding block, though a lighter version.
Stockys has them for about $220.
You can also select different B&C options for finishes and LOP,BTW.

However the poster did say "best", which likely means McMillan or Manners.

Just got off the phone with Remington customer service this guy was very helpful. Remington did make their 1st 700 7MM mags with stainless steel barrels which were painted / or dipped. They made the 7MM mag from 1962 till 1970 with stainless steel. The stainless steel was discontinued in 1970. The rifle is the same as it was when it 1st came out.

Learn something new every day. I thought those were normal steel. Didn't realize they were coated stainless.

Doyle several years ago (mid 80s) I had a 700 ADL that I customized with a Brown Precision stock and Timney trigger. I was sure it had Stainless Steel stamped on the barrel but that was 30 years ago. I am 60 plus now so there are things that aren't as clear as they once were. I don't recall seeing one in a BDL before so when I saw it on the shelf I just had to do it.

Last edited:
What are you going to do with the rifle?
If it's going to remain a "stock" hunting stick, I can't see a reason to drop $500-$750 on a Manners or McMillan like you would on a custom long range precision stick.
But hey, it's your money....
I like the Bell & Carlson Medalists- nice stock, aluminum bedding block, and the price is right for a "middle of the road" synthetic stock. Doesn't make much sense to take a stock 700 and put it in "the best replacement stock you can get". If you're going to have the action trued, custom barrel, etc. different story...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=486263

tobnpr your right I won't put big bucks in this rifle and I have looked at the Bell & Carlson stocks. I have shot is some and it is very accurate the way it sits right now. I will take my time on this one as its not the only horse in the stable.

I have heard guys diss the SPS stocks on the new Remingtons but I bought a SPS Buckmasters with the camo stock and it shoots nice, tight groups. It also looks cool as heck. See pic. Just buy one from Remington.

Attachments

• remington.jpg
    remington.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 47
I agree with trying a 700 SPS stock. If you don't want a plastic stock, and don't want to drop a bundle, a 700 Sendero or 700 VSSF stock is a rigid foam injection-miolded stock, similar to the HS Precision stock. They can be had pretty reasonably.

I really like the stock warbird has pictured think I may try that. You all are very kind and helpful with your comments, saved me a lot of looking and spending.

Consider- that for optimizing accuracy- every action should be bedded.

You can buy an inexpensive stock, and bed the action, and install pillars.
If you do it yourself, the cost is negligible.

If you're going to pay a smith, you may be better off spending more on stock that's "ready to go", with integral pillars and aluminum bedding block for the action.

Back