Researching an old Winchester Lever

Kirk Keller

Hello all. I'm trying to get some info for a friend. Her grandfather just gave her an old Winchester Model 94 with the following info on the weapon:

"Winchester Proof Steel - Model 94 - Winchester trademark - 30 W.C.F."

The number on the rifle is "1223031".

My friend is looking for dates of manufacture, specific caliber (I've told her that it's .30/30, but she wants verification) and whether or not the rifle, if in good condition, is safe to shoot.

Help?

Kirk

The Blue Book says "no record available" for the years 1943-1947, but since SN 1221289 was the last gun in 1942, hers was most likely made in 1943, one of the few commercial guns made during WW II. Maybe it was a guard's gun at a defense plant. Or a kid or retiree's hunting rifle. How old was grandpa in 1943? Or great-grandpa?

.30 W.C.F. (Winchester Centerfire) is the same as .30-30. Ammo specifications haven't changed since about WW I and if it is in decent shape it is good to shoot. It got known as .30-30 largely because Marlin didn't want to label their rifles with the Winchester name, and other ammo companies likewise.

1223031 - made in 1940 according to "The Winchester Handbook" by George Madis. Before shooting it, it should be looked at by a qualified gunsmith.

- - -By any other name - - -

Jim Watson wrote - -
It got known as .30-30 largely because Marlin didn't want to label their rifles with the Winchester name, and other ammo companies likewise.
Probably so - - -Don't you know it HURTS Smith & Wesson to have to stamp "45 Colt Ctg" on the barrel of those Mountain Revolvers?:p

Best,
Johnny Guest

Back