Research/Information

Dear Sirs:

I recently was given a five shot revolver pistol that belonged to my grandfather. The pistol has the following stamped on the top portion (rib) of the barrel: " U.S. REVOLVER CO. MADE IN U.S.A. " On the trigger guard is stamped the number: 8 6126

It is a small handgun that appears to be a 32 caliber pistol. The barrel length is 3 inches.

Could you provide me with information on where and when this firearm was manufactored? Was it intended for any special use?
If you cannot provide me with this information. could you direct me where to search?

Thank you.

This is a perfect question for our resident historian and gun expert, Harley Nolden. I'll move it to his forum.

VERY easy.

US Revolver Co. was a jobber name for Iver Johnson Arms, Co., which manufactured guns in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, from the 1880s until well into 1900s.

They made less expensive versions of their revolvers for sale through Monkey-Ward, Sears, hardware stores, etc., which sold for a few dollars less than an IJ gun.

It could be one of two types, either a breaktop (a latch on the top of the frame that allows the barrel assembly to pivot down and automatically eject the empty shells), or a solid frame version with a hollowed-out loading gate on the right side of the frame.

Could be .32 Rimfire, but most of these were .32 Smith & Wesson center fire.

Manufacture date would probably have been sometime from around 1900 to the beginning of the Depression.

I've got one of the solid-frame guns that belonged to my Great-Grandfather when he was a track-gang foreman on the Pennsylvania Rail Road around Lewistown, Pennsylvania, in the 1920s.

They don't have a lot of value.

Back