• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Require post count to sell:

SoldiersSon

We might consider a minimum post-count in order for member to be able to list items for sale. Trust can't be based entirely on a high post-count; but if someone joins the board to place a shady sale, I doubt many would stay around long enough to meet such a requirement.

Very good question by FALPhil. We are going to get shady dealers no matter how many posts they have.

One very good reason not to require X number of posts to sell is that if someone comes here with no good intentions, who is to say that .99X won't be posts such as "+1", or "nice one"?

We prefer quality over quantity, that goes without saying. If we require members to post X times before they can use a prominent feature of TFL, I can fairly safely guarantee that Q:Q ratio will go down.

There are better ways to protect yourself in a deal than looking at a post count.

I'm not going to give in depth advice on how "caveat emptor" works. But, if I was going to buy from an unknown seller, I would search the net for any other instances of the name; I would see if they are active at any auction sites; I would use a credit card if possible (Paypal or escrow account) or use a Postal Money Order to pay.

Let me turn it back on you with this - would you feel more comfortable making a deal solely based on the fact that a seller had 52 posts here rather than with one who had only 2 posts? If so, you would need to examine your internet purchasing process.

No, general post counts do not make me feel better. A display of in depth knowledge and interest in our main common bond, being firearms, and several online conversations with that person does tend to put me at a little more ease though. I would think the majority of the people that are ripping others off via sites like TFL are those new members that post only in the WTS ads and cheat a few folks then quickly disappear.

Also, my question was neither sarcastic nor meant to offend you. Sorry if it was taken as otherwise but it was an honest question.

When I originally typed out my first post, I added that a post-count requirement would only be one of the factors that should be taken into cosideration. I deleted that part since it should be common sense.

One very good reason not to require X number of posts to sell is that if someone comes here with no good intentions, who is to say that .99X won't be posts such as "+1", or "nice one"?
Nobody can say that...but if someone is looking for a quick buck and they come here and find it's NOT a quick buck, I think we all benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experiences have been kind of the opposite from the intent of the OP. I have had issues with newbies offering to buy guns then flaking out. It all kind of comes down to buyer beware and sell beware I guess. :)

Instead of post count, I would think that better mechanisms to ensure seller reliability would be things like:

- feedback mechanism (similar to ebay's)
- verifiable email address from a recognized ISP and not a free email like yahoo or gmail (it need not necessarily be published)
- verifiable telephone number
- and admonition in the header of the forum folder that federal wire fraud laws apply.

I just don't see how post count has any bearing, unless there is an unrelated reason to get post counts up. What if, in order to get an advertisement posted, someone just goes through the forum making garbage posts that waste bandwidth?

Post count alone doesn't mean much, but reading a number the posts by a given member can help to determine if they value their reputation here.

Because people with higher posts counts are just better people.

I always heard it peaks at around 1500 and goes downhill from there, reaching an ultimate low at around 10,000. :)

Wow, you guys seem to have a hard time grasping an idea that is in practice on many other boards. Oh well...I don't do business via forums anyway, just trying to pass along an idea.

Other boards, run by other people, can do what they want to do. If they think it solves a possible problem, more power to them.

We simply don't agree.

Don't take it so personally, SoldiersSon! It was actually a good suggestion, in fact, it's been a good suggestion for the two or three times it's suggested each and every year. ;)

Implementing it with vbulletin, while not very difficult, isn't easy either. We would have to set up a new user group that members would get promoted to when they reached a certain post count. There is no provision in the various forums to just say no posts allowed without a specified post count. I wish there were.

Back