Requesting Input on AR-15 upper replacement.

Gerard

Inactive
I currently have an SP-1, Colt AR-15 (Pre-Ban). Therefore no forward assist, no good rear sight or brass deflector. I am also a southpaw so with out the brass def. I catch it in the face on every round. So I would like to swap out the
upper assy with either a Bushmaster or Fulton Armory upper ( $450-750) Depending on barrel quality and whther I get the flat top or not.
Also have an Aimpoint Red-dot in want to mount on the new upper. Any Ideas??
Thank you.

you could send the upper to Bushmaster and have them install & headspace your barrel on an A2 upper

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

First, decide whether you want the flat top or not. I'd go with one personally, but it depends on what you plan to use it for. If flat top is the way you want to go, I'd go with a Bushmaster V-Match. It has a shaved front sight and full floated barrel - very sweet - and can be ordered in "pre-ban" configuration with a flash hider and bayonet lug. If you don't care about the pre-ban features, you could go with a V-match with a stainless 24" bull barrel that is quite nice. If you decide to stck with the standard carry handle A-2, Bushmaster offers several configurations. I recommend Bushmaster because I have had several great experiences with them, there prices are good, and there products are second to none (and full mil-spec). No, I don't work for them :) If you want to go all out, I'd get the V-match upper with a standard HBar barrel with the flash hider. Replace the front sight post/gas block assemble with the GG&G unit that has a fold down front sight. Get the removable carry handle, and you've got the best of both worlds. Just my $.02
-John

Whatever you do, don't touch that SP-1 upper. Those rifles are collector items and will be worth a lot more over time if you can easily return it to stock condition. I would clean and lube it then wrap it lovingly and store it away.

Others have good suggestions for flat top uppers. If you want a carry handle upper, the Colt M4 is very cool. It has a removable carry handle so you can mount your red dot easily. Remember, though, that with any upper you buy you'll need an offset adapter for the front pivot pin since the SP-1 has a large pivot pin and all of the uppers on the market today have a small pivot pin hole.

If you go with a fixed carry handle upper, there is a mount that fixes to the top of the carry handle then projects forward and down along the top of the handguard. With this, you can mount the Aimpoint low and above the handguard so that you are looking through it as you align the iron sights. I believe this is how the military uses it.

Back