Request for Information on Rossi revolvers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerivet

Inactive
I need some information from anyone in California who owns a Rossi revolver. Apparently Rossi has several models of inexpensive handguns that have a problem with misfiring when dropped. I am an FFL in California. An attorney friend of mine has a colleague who has a client in Alaska who dropped her gun and it fired and hit her son. Not a life threatening injury, but also not something that should have happened. They subsequently purchased and tested three Rossi guns and one of the three suffered from the same defect. He is looking for someone who owns one of the models at issue, but lives in CA.

That's not a misfire.
A misfire is when a gun does NOT fire.

You're talking about an accidental discharge.
Denis

That's not an accidental discharge. The gun should only fire when trigger is pulled. eg Taurus Mil Pro series lawsuit.

Sorry gun word, there is a legal world that is called the United States of America and it is ruled by torts and rule of law.

That is a product malfunction that did cause bodily harm. Go get 'em, and hard. Look to the firing pin on the frame as the bad seed, if the trigger wasn't pulled on the fall.

An accidental discharge is a loose & broad term that includes any time a gun fires by an unintended accidental cause, which includes by dropping.
It certainly is not a misfire.
Denis

Wild Cat McCane: What would be the proper term for it?

I was in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Army. An Accidental Discharge (AD) is when a soldier does not properly clear his weapon and, as a result, it fires when he pulls the trigger. We had so many of these that the Army eventually changed the terminology to Negligent Discharge (ND) and started punishing soldiers who had negligent discharges. Usually, a negligent discharge would result in an Article 15. We had an incident where a Lieutenant Colonel had a ND and as punishment, they downgraded his Bronze Star Medal. But of course, punishment was determined by rank. There was an incident in Afghanistan where a two-star Marine Corps general had a ND and nothing happened to him.

Last edited:
"...They subsequently purchased and tested..." Suspect whoever "They" may be they are probably not qualified to test anything. Also suspect that just buying 3 more isn't going to look good to a jury.
Dropping any older Smith style revolver on its hammer will cause it to go bang. Current Rossi's, being Smith clones, have a Hammer Block that is supposed to stop stuff like this happening.
Just a WHAG though. Dumping hot coffee on yourself is worth 2 million USD.
And that is a negligent discharge.
In any case, you should be able to acquire one of 'em through your distributors. Borrowing one from a private individual would likely raise all kinds of liability issues.

Let me see. Your friend has a friend who is an attorney and he is having you ask around on a network site about a gun involved in a civil suit. While any advice might be both accurate and proper, that is not the way attorneys do things.

Reputable and knowledgeable people are available for hire to any attorney on just about any possible issue, and many are well known, at least by reputation, to almost any attorney.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back