request for info on college credit for firearms classes

jarhead

Inactive
anybody know about gun classes that are certified for undergraduate or graduate college? many schools want lots of money for their classes, but they don't give you college credit. if I'm going tofork out that kinda cash for their training i need something to show on a transcript.

College credit? Acquiring skills is more important.

That set aside, besides being a host to NRA summer gunsmithing classes, Lassen College use to (operative phrase is "use to") have a survival shooting course which and drawing, multiple target engagement, etc. Don't know if they offer it anymore. Check our link to the NRA for Gunsmithing Schools and you'll get a contact address for Lassen. I think Hayward State Univ. (of CA) also offered a handgun course (where you went out and shot revolver and pistol all the time) as some sort of self defense class. Ollie Samson use to teach it.

In CA, many POST certified police academies teach semi-automatic conversion courses (revolver to pistol or intro to pistol) which is 2-3 days long and got you half an hour or credit. Catch is for many you have to minimally be a reserve cop.

Many times it depends on the Community College and whether they're pressed for students. Some CC were dependent on military folks and their dependents and when the adjacent base closed, they scrambled for students and threw their doors open to many venues.

Check out Yavapi (sic) College which I think is in AZ. They may have something you're looking for.

Thanks to 4V50 Gary for the scoop. I live in Arizona so Yavapai Community College will be easy to check on. Yes, the skills are more important than the credit, but I teach school and one way to make more money, not much more, is to get college credit for the coursework we have to take in the summertime or during the evenings.

Yavapai CC offers a police armorers course via the Internet. YCC,beginning next year,will also offer a gunsmithing course geared towards Cowboy Shooters,also via the 'Net. I was fortunate enough to be selected for the trial run of the Cowboy gunsmithing course,and it looks promising. Not sure about the course credit,though.

Bill

Back