Req. for info in 'new' Kimber scope mount bases

700PSS Shooter

I just purchased a gorgeous Kimber Hunter Silhouette .22 heavy fluted barrel rifle with presentation wood. It just sucked me in with how well it fit, the quality, and how it felt in the hand. :D

From the dealer and the manual, I am told that Kimber now has a scope base set that permits use of the Redfield "rotary dovetail" system like that used by Redfield, Leupold, Burris, Millett, etc. The 'old' style Warne bases still appear to fit the hole spacing.

I have always liked the Warne product for its incredibly high quality, appearance and strength, but also like the windage adjustable feature of the rotary dovetail system.

Has anyone seen the new bases.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Is this the new Kimber 22?? If so, it is the first report I have seen of anyone even seeing one of the new rifles. I am very interested in this, as I ordered a New Super America over a year ago, and none has ever arrived.
Is this a new rifle with the new action? Its obvious that you like it. I have never heard of a new mount system, but I would not be surpried by it.

It is the new action with a mini, mini, Mauser claw-type rotating extractor and a 2 position M70 swing-type safety on the bolt shroud. The serial # is just over 1000, so there must not be many.

The barrel is a blued, almost matte, lustre 24" tapered heavy barrel with flutes running from an inch in front of the action to about 12" from the muzzle. The muzzle has a 11 degree tapered target crown. It has a match chamber. The 50 yard 5 shot target group fired from a machine rest that came with the rifle was .280 inches. The manual says they must group at .4 inches or less with the Federal Gold Metal Ultra match ammo at 50 yards. The target was shot in March.

The barrel is marked Kimber Mfg, Inc. Yonkers, NY, USA 22LR HS

The stock has a very high raised comb, level with the bore. It kicks down in the rear like a Monte Carlo type, but no cheekpiece for a normal sized Kimber marked padded buttpad. The foreend and grip are checkered. The wood is a beautiful walnut burl with the reddish tint of Belgium Brownings or pre-1964 Winchesters. It has a soft sheen for a true oil rubbed custom look. It has Uncle Mikes type sling studs. Inletted sling mounts like on the Winchester M-52 sporter would be nicer, in my opinion, but that is a minor issue.

While not cheap by any means, it was not as much as I thought a new Kimber would be, and much less than a used Kimber of Oregon SuperAmerica with express rib sights and skeleton steel buttplate and grip cap that I was also considering at one time. Kimber afficionados and collectors tell me the newer Kimbers are better shooters than the old ones. We shall see.

The dealer said the bases were $45 or so, So I guess I may spring for them sight unseen, But I would rally like to see some first. I already have a nice selection of Warnes, primarily the .22 style, I have picked up at shows or when I see a good deal. He said that Kimber wanted buyers to have a wider selection of rings for the varied scopes out there.

I just bought a set of Warne thumb knob steel rings this weekend at the same show from another dealer selling old, slow inventory. He let me have the rings and a front base for $22. That was a mega, mega steal. They are $80+ rings alone.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited May 21, 2000).]

Thanks 700PSS Shooter.
I was wondering if Kimber had dropped the whole project, but I guess there is still hope for a new Super America coming in some day. I will have to get my dealer to check up on it again.

Herodotus:

Check out the Kimber website. They are at http://www.kimbermfg.com. They speak of the SuperAmerica, Hunter Silhouette and others, plus have some close-up photos of the action and one of the scope bases which look suspiciously Leupold-like. ;)

It will be a hard decision -- Leupold-like and common with windage adjustment (plus I have to buy) or Warne (if it fits) and more unusual and exotic.

You should have your dealer do a check on the status. The dealer I bought from had received 5 of the HS models. Mine was the last due to the extra cost of AAA wood.

There is a small shop in NE Pennsylvania above Scranton right off an exit of I-81 called the Outdoorsman. They advertise in "Precision Shooting" magazine.

His shop has a lot of interesting items and varmint stuff. He has a lot of high-end .22s and other small caliber wildcats like Cooper, Kimber, Cooper/Anschutz, and other varmint type pieces, plus a great used gun selection. He apparently has a good relationship with Cooper since he has all their newest models and some specially chambered models. A real friendly place with 3 big Labs if you are ever in that neck of the woods. Not near me, but we always stop in on the way to Canada for fishing. :)

Maybe your dealer could get one from him.

Back