Repro (Pietta) Smith Carbine -- Groove Dia vs Bullet Diameter

mehavey

As previously mentioned, I recently picked up a new Pietta Smith after a 30-year N-SSA layoff (wherein I shot an original).

After digging out all my old equip/molds/etc, I began casting the old Lyman 515139(30:1), loading 27gr 3Fg under cornmeal filler in Lodgewood's black plastic tubes. (I have the old white ones somewhere -- just can't find them)
>:(

Lubed with standard 2:1 Crisco/Beeswax, I've played with (1) as-cast (.520-.524"); (2) sized to classic 0.515"; and lastly (3) 518"

- The unsized (which I shot in the original Smith) expanded the
tubes to where they were tough to chamber -- but gave "decent"
accuracy at 50yds

- The 0.515" sized made for easier chambering, and also gave
"better"-than-decent accuracy.

- The 0.518" were Goldilocks perfect, and gave me just one
ragged hole at 50:
j9ox35.jpg

Then... THEN, like a dummy I slugged the bore: 0.508" max

Anyone else shooting a repro Smith where shooting this much oversize still does well ?

I had to get a mould from moose moulds
Had to go to a .518

but I sold the mould a while back.

And I am looking to sell my Smith too along with some brass cases

Years ago I was told that the Python's barrel was .001" smaller than the normal .357/.38 Special and hence why they were more accurate.

I never measured the bore on my repro Sharp's .54 paper cutter but I followed the most seen advice on different forums and got a .557/490 mold from Moose Moulds. I couldn't be happier. I was afraid it was going to be too big and lead the bore and if I use pure lead it does but with a little harder lead it doesn't.

I'm having a barrel-a-monkeys fun with this one.

The old mould was a little ratty/alignment pin/holes slightly loose, so I got a
NEW Lym 515139 mould (same as the old one that cast 0.522-0.524" (30:1),
only the NEW one casts 0.512/3 (same day) growing to 514/5 the day after.

Go figure.

Anyway, that same-day 0.512' is still much bigger than the 0.508" slugged
bore and ought to shoot as well.

... but shot as-cast it was ALL OVER THE PLACE shot that same day.
(next day it closed up... but still not quite as good at the old mould)

Go figure....

Meanwhile, that NEW mould casts 16:1 at 0.515 same day (we'll see what tomorrow brings)
Gotta love it.

UPDATE: Lee/Accurate Molds & Cartridge Loader

UPDATE:

Some Bottom Lines:

The LEE .518x360 carbine mold/mild-bevel base (track_wolf) shot exceptionally well
The AccurateMolds 540C (ordered 0.516(+.002"var)/casts 0.517") shoots even better

Problem was... loading that square-base into a smith case by hand was a losing battle -- Big time.

So for the search engines, I offer the 98-cent solution that works w/ graet consistency and without effort.
f1yvyu.jpg

Back