Reporting of multiple gun purchases

Teppo

Guys,

My state does not have a one gun purchase a month policy, but I have learned that my FFL is required to report to the BATF if I purchase more than one gun per week.

Does anyone know what they do with this information, and is it worth spreading out purchases as to not trigger this flag? I hear some people go around buying from separate FFLs to avoid reporting.

That has been policy for many years, probably since 1968. The thing that would be a flag to ATF is if you purchased 5 of the same gun. That may indicate that you are dealing in firearms without a license. I have done many multiple purchases and it has never caused me a problem.

same here. In fact, most of my purchases ARE multiple purchases, it saves on the processing fee for the instant check. In TN you can do up to three guns on one check.

Now I am in VA, and the law states that you have to get permission from the state police to buy more than one gun (handgun?) per month, but I understand that 99+% of the requests are approved.

My FFL told me that this pertained to pistols
only. I asked the question while shopping for more long arms. Who knows what the deal will be when the INSPEKTORS review his bound book the next time!
Hank

Back